Roaming around Miskolc and the Surrounding Area


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Northern Hungary » Miskolc
July 10th 2012
Published: July 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We began this morning with no real plan(s) for the day. We had some ideas, but nothing set-in-stone. After breakfast at the hostel, we decided to take the local bus to central Miskolc. Locating the bus was a breeze, but trying to pay for two tickets when you only have 1,000.00 bills (roughly $25 USD) in Hungarian currency was problematic. Although the bus driver could not change such bills, he waved us on and let us ride for free.

After walking through central Miskolc for 30-45 minutes, we decided to visit a medieval castle that dates to the 9th century. Visiting the Castle of Diosgyor was enjoyable since it is primarily in ruins. We enjoy seeing structures and cultural landscapes of bygone eras much more than pristine palaces.

After leaving the castle, we stopped for a quick lunch (I had rabbit soup and Sara had a sample platter of Hungarian breads, cheeses and other spreads) before taking the Lillafüred State Forest Narrow-Gauge Railway to Hámori-lake in Lillafüred, Hungary. It took roughly 1 hour to reach our destination. Once we departed the train, we hiked through the area and located the ruins of an ancient iron works plant. After exploring the ruins, we noticed several signs posted around the perimeter that, we believe, requested that you are not to go into the ruins. After this jaunt we boarded the train to Lillafüred where we ate dinner at a restaurant overlooking Hámori-lake. We both had fresh trout from the region.

Following dinner we trekked to the next town and waited for a local bus to take us back to central Miskolc. Once in Miskolc we had to take a local tram and another bus to get back to our hostel. While waiting for the local bus, we met a wonderful Korean-American family who live permanently in Miskolc as Baptist missionaries to Hungarian Gypsies. The husband and wife have lived in Miskolc for three years; their daughter is a senior in high school and lives in California; their son is attending Emory College in Georgia.

After informing them that we were departing for Zagreb, Croatia the following morning, they insisted that we ride to Budapest with them in order to cut our travel time by 2 hours. After some discussion, we agreed to be ready by 9 AM for our ride to Budapest.

Once in Budapest, we will take a 7-hour train ride to Zagreb, Croatia. The train departs at 1:00 PM and arrives in Zagreb around 7:45 PM.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



13th July 2012

Thursday update
So happy to receive the blog. The butterfly picture is outstanding. I assume one of you took the picture. I love the food shots. As always I want to see pictures of the two of you. The map was most interesting. I love the maps. I assume the couple did pick you up and you are on the roam. Jay thinks he might of sole the SmartCar. Man out of Houston--Sat at noon. Blake Jay and I are going to then leave for Tacos until Wed. night. He needs to finalize some things. Good for Blake to see. Dad is so proud to be on the trip. He has gotten to experience much. 4 men painted and in weird costumes came running and chanting through one of their meetings. They stayed to disrupt the group. They continued, but Dad said it was a scene our of a movie. Of course witch craft is very large. He helped with baptizing in a little river. I pray for you and Sara daily. I love you Mom

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb