These boots are made for walkin


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
April 19th 2006
Published: April 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Caught the metro to Moszkva Square and then the bus to the Libego, a chairlift at the edge of town which takes you to the highest point in Budapest, atop Janos Hill. Kaspar was much more relaxed than Sarah on the open air chairlift, and even enjoyed the ride through the woodland. At the top is a 100 year old lookout tower, from which you can see all of Budapest on a clear day. It wasn’t such a clear day so we could see to the Danube but not much further.

The public transport system in Budapest is excellent…there’s a choice of trains, trams, buses and the metro. It all operates on an honesty system, where you buy a ticket from a ticket booth or tobacconist (which are on every corner) and validate it before, or just after you get on. We seem to be getting around reasonably cheaply as we don’t quite know the difference between the various metro prices and some of the machines where you validate your tickets have not been working. I don’t know how well that will go down with the inspectors…if that fails, I’m sure a smile from Kaspar will do the trick.

The Libego wore us out a bit (generous amounts of fresh air and hiking with fatboy on the back will do that), and Kaspar fell asleep on dad in the bus on the way home. We were in the neighbourhood so we stopped in to see Eva (not aunty Eva, and not Eva, my dad’s partner, but Eva’s daughter, Eva. It’s got to be the most confusing place to live for these poor women) at her new gym. Eva was out, on her way to an exam but just as we were leaving Eva (Eva’s mum) arrived and I think we made plans to see her later in the week. Here English is much better than our Hungarian so I hope that’s what she thinks we were talking about.

We introduced Kaspar to Langos with garlic and sour cream for lunch, and he took to it famously. Maybe tomorrow we’ll work on the beer to wash it down while mum’s looking the other way.

A quick siesta when we got home turned into a couple of hours for the weary walkers, so naturally when we woke we went out for another “stroll” around the Buda side of the Danube for 3+ hours. Managed to fit in another half a dozen of Budapest’s finest doors (yes, there are still more), in between a cheeky pint and our staple diet of bread rolls.





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

MWAAAHHHHHHHHMWAAAHHHHHHHH
MWAAAHHHHHHHH

The roar of a tongueless lion
ParliamentParliament
Parliament

Home to a mere 400 MP's!


19th April 2006

Photos
Some of the statues and architecture is amazing in Hungary. Significant number of doors with amazing attention to detail. In addition to this - how about a photo of Eva?...not Eva your aunty, or your fathers partner, but the one at her new gym?....ok just joking....sort of.

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb