Budapest day 2


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
June 14th 2007
Published: June 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Slept until around 2pm as the previous night ended up being an extremely late one. Wasnt feeling entirely all that wonderful but feeling less than good in mornings was becoming somewhat routine. I ate a bit of 2 euro chinese food from down the street which was suprisingly good and filled me up completely, quite a steal. We decided to make our way to the house of terror museum which was the previous location of the Soviet Communist Police organization. The inhabitants were responsible for terrorizing the hungarians into adopting a what was essentially a dictatorship under stalin post world war II. The place was actually quite sobering, when first walking inside there was an antique tank ominously sitting in a large pool of oil. The further rooms were characterized by almost eerie music one would picture when thinking of hitler or facism. There were various torture instruments and exhibits describing the processes that communists used to eventually succeed in creating an empire that was bent to the will of tyrants. The basement had cells that people were forced to stay in for long periods of time with no toilets or bedding of any kind. Prisoners were unable to shower and fed hardly anything. They were also tortured on a regular basis and made to sleep on wooden planks. The museum was somewhat shocking but very interesting and more thought provoking that most museums ive been to. After the museum we walked around the city for a while longer slowly making our way back towards the metro station near the hostel. Josh headed off for Prague shortly after wanting to spend his birthday in the one of the wilder cities in eastern europe. Aaron and I decided we would spend another night in budapest before heading to Vienna and eventually meeting Josh in Munich after a few days. We spent the evening after that hanging in the hostel meeting yet more new travellers from various places and having a few social drinks. The night concluded much earlier than the previous one as we decided not to head out to any clubs that evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb