Rapid Trains an Crashing Parties


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
May 27th 2007
Published: May 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, the last 48hrs have been the most eventful zet *(the most stories anzwaz) ok z is where y should be so that didnt make sense haha. Ill start from where i left off, Friday night. Ended off having a Traditional Romanian food with about 8 backpackers, quite eclectic bunch of people so interesting conversation. Had some type of spicy meat with what Lissa called corn mash. Met 2 people at the other table that i had talked to in a Vienna Kabab shop, small world. We then went in search of bars, about 15 of us now an came across a big band night at an irish bar. Went 2 a few others but it was dead in town so a couple of the locals pointed us to where the folk all hang out, 'Hush Hush'. That night the place was packed to see romanian hip hop, really no different to Brissy boys but the words. Only a few of us left so headed back into old town an crashed a reunion party that was pretty much over, it was in what Lonely Planet said is the swish restaurant in town. After free wine an cake an some Romanian dancing later we decided nothing could top that so left for home.

Next morning headed off to Sighisoara on the local train. This old guy opposite me kept talking to me in Romanian even though i kept saying can speak your language buddy. Finally got there an found out Lissa was on the same train. The city was pretty nice, only neede an afternoon to stroll through it. Had lunch at the house where Dracula grew up, ordered chiken but it came out raw so opted for soup instead. Had some more great European icecream, so muggy, an headed home. On the way you could see a massive storm brewing, got home just in time. The hostel guys were cooking BBQ outside an then it started, it even hailed a bit. It was some workers Bday so tea was provided, some great meat again.

An now i can safely say the only thing that bit me in Transylvania, was the bed bugs, i guess now the travelbugs bit!

Today was a bit of a long one, an draining. Going to Budapest so got to the train station hr early. The tiket lady only spoke limited english so she said i only needed a ticket to the last stop in Romania, an no reservation needed for the rest, or so i think. So, this was an express train, but it felt like we were just waiting on the tracks for some of it. My cabin had six Romanian uni students going back to Timisiura, most of them civil engineers. Thank god they spoke english, they could explain why the train stopped for 1 an a half hours in the middle of nowhere, just before Arad i think. The train broke so they had to fix it. Another big storm passed over us making it a bit cooler, it seems to happen a lot in the afternoons in this muggy weather. After what seems like ages the train slowly rolls again. Uni students get off an girl gets on. I ask her if shes going to Budapest, no, she says shes going to Krakow, Poland! What? Got off the carrige an seem to attract 8 train people all decifering whether the train was going to Budapest or not, until a guy with english accent stuck his head out the window an gives me an explanation. Ends up that my cart was splitting off. Decided to sit with them, around 60ish, nice couple him from England an she from Hungary. Had great convo, everything from the new Socialist government thats not doing very good things to gypsy music. He had toured the world in the 70s as part of the Shakespear company an had been to Brisbane. Gave me good tips about Budpest (or Budapesht as they say it) an sent me in the right direction at station.

After the train broke it still kept making random stops for about 10min at a time. Started at 10.30am, got to Budapest at 10am plus 1hr difference, thats 12 an a half hrs, about 2 hrs late, so muc for rapid train. Headed to a hosel but that was full but second one i tried was good. 3 days in Budapest, hopefully less hectic!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb