Sunny Santorini


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
August 16th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 36.4044, 25.3959

We have previously been in Thira the capital city at least twice before and I have done the walk up the volcano, which is an easy walk. This time we thought we would actually see the island. A local boat took us from the ship which has to stay in the middle of the caldera ( centre of the main volcano ,the wallls of which have collapsed inward and allowed the sea in). Luckily we were the only cruise ship in so there were no crowds.I think Silversea plan their itinerary so that we arrive early before the crowds and before it gets too hot. We alighted at a small jetty and boarded a coach which then took us round the island. It is very hot and dry most of the year and gets rain in the winter months. There are many wineries and the vines could be seen growing low on the ground. It is also famous for it's pistachio trees (yes we bought some) and there are lots of little churches often attached to houses of the rich. The buildings are mostly white with blue roofs. This patriotic colouring of the Greek flag was obligatory until a few years ago but now people can paint their house in any colour. However the majority still opt for the white which I think looks much prettier in the sun. We drove up to Oia (pronounced EEA) a lovely town on the northernmost point of the island. It is mostly pedestrianized with narrow streets of marble flagstones and lots of shops and bars and a main church, which for once we did not enter as it was a Sunday and a service was going on. It was really hot so we stopped for an icecream and did a bit of shopping before being taken back to Thira the main town for another walk through and the inevitable beer stop. The cable car back down had no queues as we were still the only ship so a lovely morning and just back in time for a long lunch followed by Team Trivia. We came second yesterday but first today so the points are accumulating. May have enough for a pen or a book mark!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb