Rose and Ron Krumpos in Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
February 12th 2022
Published: February 12th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Greece


A 10-course dinner and awful show in Athen's Plaka

Ron had taken three tour groups to Athens and wanted to bring Rose to the Plaka...the old town at the foot of the Acropolis. Our host at Grande Bretagne, Director Apostolos Doxiadis, introduced us to his Concierge who recommended Murtia. They served us an 10-course dinner, with good food, but the show was so awful that Ron walked out. The Concierge also suggested dinner at Gerofinikas downtown; lovely decor, but overpriced.

Rose most enjoyed a Greek taverna in Brussels called Never on Sunday, where she and her roommate Nancy stayed until closing in the wee hours. The wonderful taverna used by Travcoa in the Plaka was closed. Murtia served us quail eggs, dolmas, chicken kebab, ground lamb, fish filet, marinated beef, roast lamb, roast suckling pig, Greek salad, and baklava. We visited the National Archeological Museum and spent a morning around the Parthenon.

Live clams served to us at a seaside restaurant in Piraeus

We ate alfresco at a seaside restaurant in Piraeus, where no one spoke English. We both wanted steamed clams, but they didn't understand our order. A plate of live clams were served to us and it took much arm waving by Rose to get them prepared correctly. We also had langoustine and jumbo prawns, while a Greek magician entertained us. Our day trip by ferry to the fishing islands of Hydra and Aegina was sunny and pleasant. Greece has 6,000 islands, but only 227 are inhabited.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.339s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 46; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb