Olympia


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » West Greece » Olympia
July 19th 2011
Published: July 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Olympia - the home of the ancient Olympic games of wrestling, chariot and horse racing and a pentathlon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The Temple of ZeusThe Temple of Zeus
The Temple of Zeus

There is not a lot left here. The Olympic games were dedicated to the god Zeus and so his temple faces the ancient Olympic Stadium.
The ancient stadiumThe ancient stadium
The ancient stadium

The ancient Olympic games were here! Women were not permitted to watch the ancient Olympic games!!
Ruins of the stadiumRuins of the stadium
Ruins of the stadium

This is where the judges sat while they watched the games. This stadium could hold up to 45, 000 spectators.
Steps leading up to the great temple of Zeus.Steps leading up to the great temple of Zeus.
Steps leading up to the great temple of Zeus.

These ruins are over 2000 years old.
Definately the hottest day of this trip, over 40C with no wind and very little shade. My toes were on fire!Definately the hottest day of this trip, over 40C with no wind and very little shade. My toes were on fire!
Definately the hottest day of this trip, over 40C with no wind and very little shade. My toes were on fire!

We are standing in front of the ancient Olympia Ruins. Our tour guide told us about the rules and traditions of these ancient games which were at one time very religious!!


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb