Sifnos Island Windmill Bella Vista


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Sifnos
September 6th 2014
Published: September 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Welcome DinnerWelcome DinnerWelcome Dinner

Incredible view and delicious taste platter on our first evening at the Windmill Bella Vista.
Sifnos Island has been a changing kaleidoscope. We arrived by ferry about 8:30pm. We drove through a busy port village with crowds gathered in shops, restaurants and bars; over a narrow mountain road, through quieter villages and finally to a beautiful Bella Vista located far apart high on a rocky cliff. Arriving around 9:00pm, I asked if the kitchen was open. A quiet young Greek girl said ‘I am the kitchen’. In broken English she suggested a taste plate and glass of wine – a wonderful recommendation and the start of an amazing evening. She was joined by two young children and a dog named Bella. Together they laughed and played in the courtyard while our young hostess communicated to us with increasing confidence of her English language about her life in Athens and her love for Sifnos Island. We were very sad to hear that was her last night at the restaurant as her summer was ending and she was preparing to return to college.



Breakfast was far more challenging. Our hostess spoke no English, could not understand a request for filtered as opposed to Greek coffee. The rental cars were booked out and with no other
 The spaces of Windmill Bella Vista The spaces of Windmill Bella Vista The spaces of Windmill Bella Vista

This hotel is characterised by spaces - whether it be the private little studio with verandah, the dining area, the pool area, the windmill or reception. Each building is quite distinct, yet in harmony with the whole complex.
guests staying at the hotel there was a feeling of being isolated in a beautiful but strange location. A solo swim in the beautiful pool overlooking the villages, ocean and surrounding islands revived my spirits. It was time to adjust to a different rhythm and pattern of day to day life. Shops in the surrounding villages were open in the morning, closed in the afternoon and then open in the evening. Dinner was typically a leisurely event that started around 7:30 for the ‘early seating’.



Greek was spoken everywhere and it was time to use a few Greek words. I found that a greeting of Kalamare or Kalispera often evoked a hello or yasou response and an Efkharisto brought a smile and sometimes laughter at the mispronunciation. By reaching out in this way we opened lines of communication and enjoyed the experience of an authentic Greek village location.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Landmark WindmillLandmark Windmill
Landmark Windmill

This windmill is a beacon on a hill and can be seen throughout the surrounding valleys, hills and villages.
Wooden BoxWooden Box
Wooden Box

Nat loves this wooden box. It is typical of handcrafted functional items that are just 'there' throughout the hotel.
Hotel CatHotel Cat
Hotel Cat

There are many cats on Sifnos - not an overwhelming number - but many loved cats and they are very confident and secure. This little guy joined us for breakfast each morning.
BrikkieBrikkie
Brikkie

Purri Gould this is for you - our very own Brikkie available in our room.
Breakfast - Fresh and DeliciousBreakfast - Fresh and Delicious
Breakfast - Fresh and Delicious

Breakfast was included in the price of the room. Choices of beautiful fresh fruit, island cheeses and yogurt, traditional pastry, eggs, cereal, Greek coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice.
One of Those Moments!One of Those Moments!
One of Those Moments!

What can I say that is not expressed in this photo? Sometimes there is a moment when you feel joy, laughter and total synchronisation with your experience and surroundings - there I am in the midst of it!


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb