Imerovigli and Fira, Santorini, Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
October 18th 2014
Published: October 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

When we got up today at the Astra Suites Hotel the sewage smell coming from the bathroom was worse than it was the night before. The staff spoke to a plumber, and the plumber stated it had to do with the high winds the night before, which had come from a direction they don’t normally come. The staff was very apologetic, and said that they would need to flush the system with water to clear out the smell. A female member of the staff told us that this was the hotel’s number one priority. Now Deke is a man who likes to be the number one priority of any hotel, but I don’t think that he wanted to go about it in this way. We spoke to George at Astra Suites. George is a man after Deke’s own heart. George is particular when it comes to his guests’ needs, and Deke was pleased when the problem was resolved.

The beautiful view we have from our balcony is mostly due to Skaros, which is right before us. According to the information the hotel provided to us in its brochure, Skaros was the medieval capital of the island for about 600 years. It is deserted now with what I understand are only a few ruins left. It is a large, beautiful, and unusual geological formation. Apparently, settlers built there for protection against pirates.

Deke and I walked from the village of Imerovigli, where Astra Suites is located, to Fira. There is a lovely seaside pedestrian path. The views are breathtaking. We had a drink in Fira, and then returned to Imerovigli by taxi; Deke was a bit worn out.

In reading Aristotle’s Ethics, I came across the following in Book III, “. . . . Moral Choice must be ‘a grasping after something in our own power consequent upon Deliberation:’ because after having deliberated we decide, and then grasp by our Will in accordance with the result of our deliberation.” I suppose that this is what separates crimes of passion from first degree murder—the longer a person has to consider the situation, and the longer one continues to deliberate under one’s free will, the more potent the moral implication of his or her actions.

I’m actually quite short on words today; this will, I’m sure, make some readers happy. I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves. Santorini is truly a spectacular.

Yasas,



Monique


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb