Black Rock


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
September 14th 2007
Published: September 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

The plan didn’t differ much today - have something to eat, then catch a bus to another beach - this time, a black beach. We managed to get on the right bus out to Perissa, but didn’t end up staying out there for long.

The water was once again, pretty cold, which is strange considering the temperature of the sand/rock. I think the problem is that our beaches back home are shallow, so the water heats up, whereas here, the beach just drops away under you, and gets quite deep.

There were dogs lying on the beach beds (Santorini seems to have so many stray dogs and cats) and it wasn’t the best place, so after a quick walk along the black sand, we made our way back up to catch the next bus back - glad that we had made the effort to venture out from our hotel for at least part of the day!

The bus back was packed full - there were tonnes of locals heading back to Thira after a church ceremony, which, at the end, saw everyone leaving with bowls of soup, handfuls of bread, and bunches of basil. It looked quite delicious! However, due to the timing, it meant that there were about 60 people on a 55 seater bus, and at each stop, he seemed to let a few more on.

Packed like sardines, we continued around the mountainside, until we reached Thira, where we made a crepe stop on the way home. Back at the hotel, it was time to lie in the sun, and have another swim in the pool…nothing too exciting. We lasted for a couple of hours, before heading back to our own balcony, to catch the last few hours of sun.

Just before sunset, we did a quick walk in the opposite direction of our hotel, to find some great views of Thira. I was glad Iz had made me walk around and up the side. On the way back, we were pretty hungry, so we went into the Gyros shop and ordered some more of the local cuisine. We made it back to our balcony in time to watch the sunset, then head to bed for our early morning start. It would be sad to leave our lap of luxury!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Santorini Resturaunt 2Santorini Resturaunt 2
Santorini Resturaunt 2

Squid anyone - Its fresh!
GyrosGyros
Gyros

Cheap dinner


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0843s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb