First day on Santorini


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Santorini
June 4th 2007
Published: June 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Last night in Ios was actually somewhat low key. Everyone seemed a bit burnt out from the previous three nights of mayhem. We woke up around 9am to catch the bus to the ferry which would take us to Santorini. It turned out that the only ferry we could catch was the fast one which cost twice as much 😞. Cost us 16 euro rather than 7 which was still relatively cheap. We made our way there in around 45 minutes and found some beat up orange van that would take us to the youth hostel with rooms for 5 euros per night. After settling in a bit we headed to the beach about 300m away. It was the strangest beach I have ever been to. The sand actually consisted of many fine black pebbles. The even stranger part was once in the water, the sea floor looked like it was now sand but it was actually hard as rock and smoothed and rippled by wave erosion. Further it continued like this for about 10m and then there were a bunch small algae and a abrupt drop of maybe 3m to a sandy sea floor which continued for as far as I could tell. Very strange beach but pretty sweet. We stayed for a while and then went back to our hostels to grab some food and our diving masks. Pork gyros are sold all over near our hostel for somewhere around 2euro a piece which is quite a steal. After we did a bit of diving around the drop-off area which was had a few small fish and cool plants but nothing too special. Went back around evening time for a nap and then headed out for a few drinks but I was quite tired so I didnt stay out for a long and my bro came back shortly after myself.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1136s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb