MYKONOS Part 1


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Mykonos
May 18th 2009
Published: May 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

May 9/09

We leave Santorini after dropping off our ATV's (Sad days...) today.
Our hostel owner drives us to the ferries (the island is so small, so pick up and dropoff services are offerred by ALL hostels! soooo convenient!), and i am happy to announce that WE DID NOT MISS IT!

yay!

We pay a very sketchy 56 cents "port tax", which is collected by 3 casually dressed guys sitting on a bench (SKETCHY), then go onto our "Flying Cat" ferry to Myonos. After a nauseating 2 hour journey, we were there!
I automatically see the difference between Santorini and Mykonos.
The houses were ALL WHITE! No pastel coloured buildings were seen, but what can only be described as little white sugar cubed houses with brighly coloured doors and window frames.
I definitely abused the "colour accent" function on my camera!

After meeting our hostel owner, a nice middle aged Greek man with a unibrow, also named George (like the cute un-unibrowed doorman in Santorini, who we now are fondly naming "The George" - cuz we're super cool like that), we headed to "Little Venice".
And we realize that it's NOTHING like Venice. It was one shoreline street filled with restuarants and nothing more. I will admit that the water IS beautiful though!
The popular spot of Mykonos were 4 windmills in a row. I attempt to turn the wheels of the windmill, but to no avail.

After another meal of gyros, we head for delicious ice cream made with "real Greek milk". Eating a Ferro Roche ice-cream (tastes exactly like the chocolate), we chatted and hung out. There's much less to do in Mykonos when compared to Santorini! A lot less sights for sure - but a lot more bars and clubs.

The night ends with me taking a cold shower because the hot water wasn't working. The water from the tap ended up being warmer than the one from the shower - sooooooo basically that meant me taking a cup, and constantly refilling it and pouring it over myself. i'm super classy.

------------------

May 10/09.

Today, Karen, Ruby, and Annie head back to Athens to catch their flight home. Michelle and I were left trying to find a roof over our heads for the next few days.
But first we find a bank, because I was downt o my
Karen in a tiny truckKaren in a tiny truckKaren in a tiny truck

The truck was really really tiny. Karen sized.
last 5 euros and I hesitate to mentin how much I have already used in the past week. it hurts me to even think about it.
So travelling really makes you lose track of tiem and date - so of course, today just ended up being a Sunday, so all banks are closed...
i cry a little inside and hold onto my 5 euros with dear life.

With the help of some English guy, Michelle and I take a bus down to Paradise Beach (not to be mistaken with the nearby SuperParadise beach. How the latter gained the "Super" prefix, i have yet to find out.)

Paradise Beach in our guidbook is said to be a nudist beach, so we warily check into our "room".
The "room" is essentially a small cabin house with 2 beds in it. Washrooms/showers are shared in a communal room, but let's just say it wasn't the cleanest. WIth bugs EVERYWHERE and a very unappealing smell constantly wafting around the place, yea. It was cheap (mykonos is EXPENSIVE, all actual hostels were over 40 canadian a night! this was a cool 25cad, sweeeet), and had flushable toliets, that's all i really cared about!
Old woman.Old woman.Old woman.

While the girls shopped for souvenirs, I tried to find actual Greek people hidden in the hordes of tourists.


Once there, we head to the beach to lie down and tan. At this point, my face tan is so dark, and so pathetically uneven that i've basically given up trying to save it and am just concentrating on tanning the rest of my body to match the dreadfully tan face. So i positioned myself ever so carefully so to minimize the amount of sunlight touching anywhere above my neck.

We hung out at the beach for a while, listening to the horrible ginobeats pumping loudly at the restaurants near us, and watching chicks get drunk and dance at 5pm. way. too. early.

We later met an Aussie, Mitch, who had coincidentally been on our Santorini boat tour, AND our feery to Mykonos, but whom we had never talked to till now.
HE too was staying at the same camp ground in a cabin close to us. And after that, we met:
- a South Dakotan basketball player, playing for a German team in the Europe league, Josh Mueller. I later googled him. because for those who know me. i google everyone. and yes. he does seem to have a fan base! coooool. he even has his own basketball card!
- an Aussie nurse, Naomi.
- 2 Californian students, Devan and Becca.

We all decided to head to twon for the nightlife. Once there we realized that it was WAY too expensive to drink there, 12 euro (21CAD) for ONE cocktail. My gosh. ..i had. 5 euros.
So we ghetto styled it, and bought drinks at a local mini-mark and drank in a stairwell facing the falls. Nice and relaxing!
I tried the Greek beer, Mythos, and actually liked it!
With that in me, i was still controlled, Michelle on the other hand, split a mickey of vodka with Naomi, and was now tipping over significantly, and talking... a lot.

We head to the first bar, Skandanavian-Bar (a very popular joint apparently), where we all get a free shot.
It was very empty though, so we left and went to Down Under bar, and once there...get a free shot.
To get us to stay in the half-empty bar, the owner buys us another free shot.
I'm now seeing that Greek islands seem to like giving free shots.

Following a cocktail and another shot, surprisingly, i was still fine!!

Drink count: 1 beer, 1 cocktail, 4 shots.
Apparently, when i need to be a cheap drunk (since alcohol here is SO expensive when it's not given to you for free.), i am not. arg!

We danced the night away, and i had a great time chatting and meeting other travellers.
Travellers are just so darned interesting!

Michelle proceeded to be hit on by a guy, who bought her a bouquet of flowers, and invited her to stay at his hotel, on his pull out bed. har har. bet THAT doesn't exist.
Finally tired out, we go for sandwiches, then head back to the hostel.

i'm gonna be fat after this trip.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The all seeing eye.The all seeing eye.
The all seeing eye.

Every tourist shop had all seeing eye merchandise!!! orginally from Turkey, it made its way to Greece, and supposedly if you wear something with it, you'll have good luck. it's sorta creepy.
PELICANS!PELICANS!
PELICANS!

There were pelicans!!! SO COOL.
Windmills!Windmills!
Windmills!

The restaurants all have their tables along the walkway, if only these restaurants weren't so expensive!
Ice cream.Ice cream.
Ice cream.

mmm.....
Cabin 50.Cabin 50.
Cabin 50.

Where Michelle and I lived for three days. I didn't take any pictures of the washroom - although in hindsight, i really wish i did just to show you all!
Hairyman.Hairyman.
Hairyman.

We nicknamed him "Wings".
TravellersTravellers
Travellers

Aussie + Californians.
TravellersTravellers
Travellers

South Dakotan + Aussie.
Ballin'Ballin'
Ballin'

He has his own bball card! ...AND he had a website appear when i googled his name. that means he's famous. and i wore his hat. cooool.
Picture 195Picture 195
Picture 195

the dude that bought michelle flowers. aww...


Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb