Finally hot weather!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Mykonos
May 17th 2007
Published: May 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We flew to Venice on Saturday and as soon as we stepped of the plane we couldn't believe how warm in was!! It was great. We hopped on the bus to our campgrond that we were staying at and when we got there we were pleasantly surprised. It wasn't just a small campground, it had everything. A pool, resaurant, bar, grocery store, gym, internet cafe and we weren't actually camping, we were staying in a small trailer like room that had 2 beds and a full bathroom. We just wandered around the campground that evening, since it was late when we got there and we were quite far outside of Venice.
Sunday morning it was up early and we caught the bus to the ferry port where we walked around for over and hour because we had no clue where we were supposed to be going. We eventually found the ferry dock we needed, bought our deck tickets (yay 31 hours on the deck of a ferry) and waited to board. We boarded at noon and we were on our way at 12:30. We met a couple of fellow Canadian girls who we spent the entire ferry ride with which was nice because we could watch each others things if the others needed to go somewhere. The ferry during the day wasn't bad at all but at night it was horrible. We only had the hard wooden benches to try and lay on which were really small, it was windy and the mist coming off of the water was horrible. needless to say I don't think any of us got more than a couple of hours sleep. We docked in Patras at 9pm and caught a 3 hour coach into Athens. By the time we found our hotel and checked in it was almost 2am and we passed out quite quickly.
Tuesday morning we headed out into the town for the day. It was about 34 degrees out which we weren't used to but I thought it was awesome. We saw the Temple of Zeus and adrian's Gate, the remains of Roman houses and Roman Baths, visited the National Gardens and just walked the markets in the streets. There were a lot of street vendors selling rip off designer sunglasses and handbags and it was funny because all there things were in a big white sheet that they layed out and as soon as the cops would drive by they were packed up and out of there in a matter of seconds. They are very pushy though. I just was taking a look at a pair of sunglasses and he told me they were only 10 euros and had them packed up and trying to push them in my hand, and he had a hard time taking no for an answer. That evening we met the busabout group we would be touring the islands with to go over how everything would work, and after the meeting we all went for dinner at a traditional greek restaurant in town. We all tried the Mousaka, which was actually very good! Then it was home to bed because we had to be on the bus at 6am the next morning.
Wednesday was an early start and we had a 5 hour ferry ride to the island of Mykonos. When we got there it was absolutely beautiful. We got to our resort and after check in we all headed straight to the beach. The beach is full of lounge chairs and straw umbrellas for you to use and there was 2 restaurants, 3 bars, futons, a dance floor, and pool (which wasn't open quite yet). It was everything you needed right at your back door. We spent the afternoon on the beach and then that evening our guide took us into the town and took us on a walking tour. It was such a cute town, all the building in Greece are white and the window shutters can only be painted light or dark blue, green, yellow or red/brown. The streets were all small and cobblestone, the town is all lit up at night and it reflects off of the white, it is really gorgeous to see. After the tour we went for dinner at a local restaurant and we saw Petros the Pelican who loved to pose for photos and town of his friends as well. After dinner we went for a bit of bar hopping and dancing. It was a really good night.
Thursday we all slept in a bit and since Mykonos is the most expensive of the 4 island s we are visiting and we had seen the town the night before we all headed to the beach again. We layed all day and needless to say I have a bit of a sunburn but it was a really relaxing day....well needed after 2 months of backpacking and late nights! That evening we had dinner in the resort restaurant and sat on the beach chatting with everyone. It's really beautiful here but today (Friday) we are leaving for the next island, Paros which is supposed to be even more beautiful....I can't even imagine it being more so but I do know I can't wait!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb