Catacombs, ancient theatres and icecream


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Milos
July 10th 2022
Published: July 12th 2022
Edit Blog Post

After all the activity of the last two days, we were all feeling a bit water-logged and sunburnt, so we had a quieter start to the day. We went out for breakfast and left the girls at home to fend off the Insta models - this task was made much easier by the wind that had whipped up overnight, bringing a mountain of seaweed to block the path to our syrma and some pretty big waves.

Beautiful breakfast by the water and a quick wander around the ‘other side’ of Klima. Finally summoned the kids from their screen-induced comas and headed for the catacombs. The wind had a lovely cooling effect so we enjoyed a quick trip underground to see where the early Christians used to bury their dead and hide their worship from the Romans. Then we wandered to the theatre - a truly spectacular setting and very well preserved (or restored, with marble?!) and we had the whole place to ourselves!

Ventured to a beach but the waves were big and unpredictable so we decided against swimming - a peace treaty icecream was offered instead and gladly accepted so we headed to Plaka to have beautiful icecream with the beautiful people. And it was beautiful.

More resting was required, given the high level of activity so far in the day, while Geoff returned the car and attempted grocery shopping, which was unfortunately thwarted by Sunday’s day of rest and closure of all shops. Oh well, have to go out to dinner instead.

We couldn’t let the day, or our stay in Klima pass without a swim at the local ‘beach’ so wandered up there to check it out - given the breeziness and waves, we were surprised how clear it was. Also intriguing were the columns of bubbles spiralling up from the sea floor. Our resident wannabe geologist, together with google, has concluded that it’s hydro-thermal activity as a result of the dormant volcano. Google tells me it’s been dormant for 90,000 years so I reckons there’s just lots of crabs under there.

Concluded our fabulous stay in Milos with dinner at Astakas Restaurant up the ‘road’. By then the wind had died down and the sun had lost its bite and it was a truly spectacular evening.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb