Monemvasia


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese » Sparta
June 24th 2012
Published: June 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

MonemvasiaMonemvasiaMonemvasia

That little causeway is the only way in.
Since it was Sunday, there was very limited bus service, so I indulged in a taxi to take me to Monemvasia, which is a little over an hour away. This is a Medieval town that sits just out on the water. It was cut off from the mainland during a really intense earthquake in 375 AD. This separation from the mainland, though, ensured that Monemvasia exist largely removed from the world just across the water. So stepping past its gate is like stepping back in time.

There are obviously no cars, since the streets are so tiny and cobble-stoned. And the town itself is incredibly compact. You could probably walk the entire length of it in less than 20 minutes. It has wonderful views of the Myrtoon Sea from nearly every part of town, but especially from the ruined castle above. I'm constantly walking up to ruined castles! There are also beautiful churches on the island, and today, in the main square, there was a wedding underway. Other than that, Monemvasia is a great place to literally escape from the world, and have a drink at one of the tiny cafes that look out over the sea.

Got back
Town SquareTown SquareTown Square

The wedding was in the church to the right.
in the mid-afternoon and wandered around Gytheio. Also went over to the small Marathonisi Islet, which is beautiful because of its pine trees. Tomorrow it's back on the buses, this time heading more Northwest, for Olympia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

View of Town from CastleView of Town from Castle
View of Town from Castle

That's pretty much it - a very small place.
Pine-covered MarathonisiPine-covered Marathonisi
Pine-covered Marathonisi

Gythio's right across the water.


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0762s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb