Epidauros and Mycenae


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese » Epidaurus
October 3rd 2011
Published: November 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Epidaurus is host to one of Greece’s most prestigious ancient theatres, which happens to be in an area designated for healing (apparently music and the arts were known for healing in antiquity as well…) This renowned theater was carved into the naturally occurring limestone deposits on a mountainside in Epidaurus. The theater is designed so that acoustically sound could travel through the theater so that anyone in any seat could hear sound from the stage. (It works too; one of the girls from our group sang (without a microphone) and I was able to hear her from the very top row of the theater!) These guys were knowledgeable in the realm of physics without actually knowing why things work the way they did!

Visiting Mycenae was an interesting experience on its own. Of the ruins left of this civilization, I visited the acropolis of the city. This walled center of town only really had one entrance, the Lion’s Gate, thanks to its strategic positioning on the top of a mountain with three steep surrounding sides. The coolest part of these ruins was the cistern of the city. Essentially it was an underground cave made of slippery marble. A flashlight is needed to see in the cave, otherwise it will be pitch black!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb