At last a holiday - Metamorfosi


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese » Epidaurus
May 30th 2011
Published: May 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

To Metomorfosi


14th - 28th May 2011

Leaving today to drive south down the coast to a small village on the mainland near to the island of Poros called Metamorfosi. Here we rented a villa with friends and family for the next fortnight - well we do need a holiday from all this travelling !

After booking the villa we discovered it belonged to John Humphrys of BBC fame and he had written a book about the trials and tribulations of building it with his son Christopher who lives in Athens.

After a stunning drive down the coast we arrived at Villa to be greeted by Chris who was cleaning the swimming pool. We duly settled in and made use of the pool and sun terrace.

The villa is set in a superb location above a bay facing west ( glorious sunsets ) with an infinity pool, sun terrace, large patio and its own olive, lemon and orange grove complete with resident peacock - Henry.

Our friends arrived the following day and to celebrate we put together a Greek meal of Stifado ( Beef casserole cooked in a rich sauce with whole small onions ), Greek Salad and roast potatoes with garlic and wild hand picked thyme. Preceded by Ouzo, washed down with local wine and finished with Metaxa brandy.

Over the next days we visited the Ancient site at Epidavros which has the best preserved ancient theatre in Greece - truly stunning, the island of Poros by water taxi for numerous excellent meals out and Athens by Flying Dolphin Hydrofoil.

In between we soaked up the sun, swam in the pool, watched dolphins playing in the bay below, BBQ'd locally caught fish, made fresh lemon and orange juice with fruit from the villa's orchard, had friends over ( Yvette and Fernand ) for a BBQ, survived the end of the world ( May 21st ), went fishing and played a fair amount of poker in the evenings where Max proved her superiority at texas holdem.

All good things come to an end and we watched our friends leave up the very dodgy access track for the last time with heavy hearts knowing we too would leave the following morning and be 'back on the road' and living in our bijou box once again.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



5th June 2011

A fantastic blog!
Loved reading a few this morning. Loved the family photo on the ferry. Wish my parents had done this for us. An amazing trip. Can't wait to read more.
14th August 2011
Villa Artemis

Villa Artemis
Lovely to see a photo of this villa, I have just finished reading the book Blue Skies and Black Olives by John and Christopher Humpryes in which they tell the story of the building of the villa. What a beautiful villa in an extremely beautiful setting.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb