Road trip through Greece, day one


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese » Epidaurus
June 20th 2022
Published: June 20th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We are on the road baby! But I can't seem to upload pictures at this time so I'll give you a stop by stop recap. I will pay more pics as I'm able.
After catching our bus in Athens we initially stopped and saw the Corinth Canal, a human-made structure which connects the Aegean and Ionion sea. It looks exactly like a scene from the old Jason and the Argonauts film. Very cool.
Then on to Epidaurus, a world famous theater that sits next to a very old hospital. We could test out the theater acoustics - you really can speak normally at the bottom and have it heard way up at the top. It makes you feel a part of the entire theater scene from so long ago. Speaking of so long ago, our tour guide is wonderful and she emphasizes the reality of the historical times we are discussing. Referencing 2 thousand years before Christ (all events, buildings, people, are in reference to Christ), really helps to contextualize local history. And that history is so interwoven with mythology and Roman conquest - it's fascinating!!

We stopped for lunch in Nauplia, an important port, before driving past Hercales' (Hercules) tomb on our way to Mycenea. A quick visit to the Tomb of Agamemnon, which has an interesting beehive structure, and then we find ourselves here in Olympia. We will explore the home of the Olympic games tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1003s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb