Cats, Kittens, Cuisine, Cappuccinos and Cocktails...


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Meganisi
July 7th 2012
Published: July 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

UploadedFile0UploadedFile0UploadedFile0

View of Kioni from the hill above
Well, we had a fabulous time with the Oxies..! We visited Kastos, Kioni and Fiscardo. George's (Karnagio at little Vathi on Meganisi) and Mitikas. We stopped for swims in bays and swam in caves. We chilled in cafes and and titilated our tastebuds with gastronomic delights...

Fiscardo is one of the most picturesque towns you Can imagine. I call it the Riviera of the Ionian! A real gem. It is, I believe, the only town on Cephallonia that was not destroyed/damaged by the earthquake in 1953. And it is a wonderful example of the Venetian architecture and colouring for which the Ionians are renowned!

While we were in Fiscardo an Israeli boat full of men moored up beside us. There was much activity with a chopping board and various veggies.... We were intrigued and so enquired as to what delectable gourmet dish was being prepared. A few minutes later a plate of Shkshuka was presented to us! It was mouth wateringly delicious! (google it! ?). And to top it all, later that evening one of the chaps played the guitar and sang. A lovely end to a great day!

Then Kit Cat the shoe fairy arrived...

We
UploadedFile1UploadedFile1UploadedFile1

Another day, another bay...
endured a force 6 wind (which is approximately 25 knots) blowing onto the quay at Mitikas and although our boats were fine and our anchors were holding there was some fun and games with other boats who hooked up anchors and so we headed for the tranquility of George's. We also visited Nidri and enjoyed the pool and partook of some delicious cocktails at Yannis'' Bar!

Then it was off to Episcopi - the quaintest little place you have ever seen. Its tiny little harbour can take about 5 yachts and the taverna is a caravan that is set up to serve salads and grills and cold beers and wine - of course!

A bunch of mates gathered at Episcopi and we even had a braaivleis (BBQ for the unaquainted!) on the quayside. What fun!

Cat has been in huge demand for computer and iPad lessons. With Marie and Jane and even perfect strangers queuing up for advice. Guess she can always take up teaching computer skills, if she tires of her current profession...! And then it was backgammon too! Poor Mark lost his boat and his dinghy and even his shoes. Hope he manages to win them back before Cat leaves tomorrow!

In the midst of all this we have enjoyed the antics of the cats and kittens of Kioni, Panagula and George's.

Sadly it is now time to start packing up, but we have had a fabulous holiday and look forward to doing it all over again next year - whether in the Ionians or the Sporades, is still to be decided! But one thing is for sure it will be fab.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

UploadedFile5UploadedFile5
UploadedFile5

Quick stop for a swim at Episcopi
UploadedFile6UploadedFile6
UploadedFile6

Ancient Roman cemetery at Fiscardo
UploadedFile7UploadedFile7
UploadedFile7

Shkshuka. Look at the size of the olives! It was divine! The Israelis in the background.
UploadedFile8UploadedFile8
UploadedFile8

Am I cute, or what?
UploadedFile9UploadedFile9
UploadedFile9

A fruit n veg shop
UploadedFile10UploadedFile10
UploadedFile10

Hey Mom, it's really hot! Can I have an ice cream please?
UploadedFile13UploadedFile13
UploadedFile13

Another great dinner at George's! With Kevin, Mark, Charles and Judy.
UploadedFile19UploadedFile19
UploadedFile19

Me trying to get reception to upload my blog....!
UploadedFile22UploadedFile22
UploadedFile22

A hungry baby swallow. The inside of the mouth is bright yellow so when it is open and the Parents can see it easily and feed the baby on the wing.
UploadedFile23UploadedFile23
UploadedFile23

Another family of fledgling swallows
UploadedFile24UploadedFile24
UploadedFile24

Dinner at Tassia's in Fiscardo. We practically stepped off our boat into this restaurant. One night Sheikh Mohammed's family had dinner here, right in front of our boat.
UploadedFile25UploadedFile25
UploadedFile25

Hey, anyone wanna come and play?
UploadedFile31UploadedFile31
UploadedFile31

Magnificent Fiscardo, with the pastel shades of the buildings.
UploadedFile32UploadedFile32
UploadedFile32

One of the building facades in Fiscardo.
UploadedFile33UploadedFile33
UploadedFile33

Wanna take me home...?
UploadedFile34UploadedFile34
UploadedFile34

A fishing boat in Fiscardo
UploadedFile35UploadedFile35
UploadedFile35

Think I'm going to revert to this sport when I get home...
UploadedFile37UploadedFile37
UploadedFile37

Cappucino time...


Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb