A Day in Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Corfu
June 22nd 2014
Published: June 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.6178, 19.9196

Today was the first and only time that the Disney Cruise Line made a stop in Corfu, Greece this year. We had a later excursion today so we didn't meet until 8:45 in Cabanas.

We then met in the Walt Disney Theater for our excursion. The island of Corfu is very close to both the mainland of Greece and also Albania and both of those could be seen just across the water.

We boarded our bus and headed to Paleokastritsa Bay on the north west side of the island. Our bus dropped us off at a beautiful bay where we were able to get into the crystal clear, blue water. The water was cold but, when in Greece we had to get in.

We then took a short ride to a Byzantine Monastery of the Virgin Mary. This monastery was built in 1228. Currently, only 8 monks live in the monastery along with 50 cats.

After a 1 hour tour we boarded the bus and took a ride through the middle of the island to the Achilleion Palace that was built by the Empress of Austria in 1889-1891 on the top of a hill overlooking the bay and old town of Corfu. After her death, the palace was purchased by the German Emperor Wilhelm II in 1907. After he lost the palace it became a hospital and then the Greek State became owners of the palace which was used as a casino until 1983 when it was turned into a museum.

The grounds and palace are amazing and were built as a tribute to the Greek Gods. It is crazy what money can build.

After a tour of the palace we boarded the bus to head to Old Town. We spent about an hour walking through the narrow streets of the historic Greek Town.

We then headed back to the bus and the ship where we had a quick swim to wash off the day before going to the Greek themed sail away party.

Dinner was in Carioca's and was a Mediterranean themed menu. Dinner was followed by our nightly walk and then we watched the Beatlemaniacs on the pool deck and then headed to the Walt Disney Theater to see the show called "Walt Disney, the Dream Goes On".

Then off to bed. We get to mover our clocks back an hour tonight because Dubrovnik is on the same time as Italy.

Dinner
Ric: Tapas, lentil salad, Pasta with Chicken and cheesecake
Nikki: Tapas, green soup, flank steak and apple tart
Regan: Soft Shell Crab, tomato soup, Pasta with Chicken and apple tart
Kelsie: Shrimp, green soup, Roasted Root Vegetables and apple tart



Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb