Last days in Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Corfu
June 12th 2018
Published: June 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

On Monday, we docked and went on a tour of the Sanctuary of Olympia, the birthplace of the Olympic Games. Those words are easy to write, but the feeling in the place is impossible to describe. First of all, it is humbling to think that this is the place that the Olympic flame is lit every two years, once for the Summer and once for the Winter games. Second, the site is huge, with buildings the athletes lived, the places they ate, ruins of the training facilities and, most amazing, the original field the athletes competed on with the 2000 year old track finish line. The museum was also amazing, including 1st century original artifacts. Just a special place.

Last night Sophie and I were invited to attend dinner with Laurel Corona, guest lecturer on the Seabourne cruises. Laurel has a PhD in English and Humanities and works full time on the Seabourne cruses to provide port cultural information prior to our docking. It was quite interesting hearing her perspective on her job as a cruise lecturer as well as the ports we would be docking. And, it was quite a lavish dinner.

Tuesday we docked at Corfu, Greece. Sophie and I chose not to take any of he excursions, but rather to simply walk around this old city, follow our noses and just enjoy the culture. We shopped a little, especially for fashion we could not find in the US. We sat and had a little Greek wine and just people watched. We later returned to the ship, sat at the pool and had a wonderful day.

Tomorrow we leave the beautiful county of Greece, for the also beautiful country of Italy. This has been a wonderful trip so far.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb