Paleokastrista & Corfu Town


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Ionian Islands » Corfu » Corfu Town
August 14th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.6178, 19.9196

The last time we came to Corfu, which was again off a ship, we were so hung over that all we did was stagger round a museum, have a beer and come back. This time we thought we ought to see a bit more of the place so we were on a coach hurtling along the very narrow roads. Several times we ran into cars or other coaches which had to reverse to let us pass. At least we got a taste of the island which I must say I would not come and stay at. It was probably a delightful island at some point but is now full of hotels and tourist bars.Our guide today was some mad old Greek woman who did not use the audio machines so unless you were close you missed what she was saying. However as she was a non stop chatterer who kept going off on tangents it was propbably just as well. Must confess we kept dozing off in the coach as we had got up fairly early and had an hour docked off our sleep. Our first stop was the Paleokastrista Monastery which is a very small but delightful church - orthodox so plenty of Madonna icons, which I have a penchant for. After a drive around the island we had a short stop overlooking the airport runway! This juts out into the sea and I would not be wanting to stay at the hotel overlooking the runway! However the beer there was cheap enough. Finally we ended up in Corfu town and saw some of the old buildings and palaces and another church or two. I had to buy yet another Madonna con Bambino to add to my collection but this is a pretty silver one!
We were certainly ready for lunch.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb