Hiking in Crete


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete
August 8th 2006
Published: August 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This is a bit dated since we are now in Prague and have also spent several days in Germany. We have had some difficulty finding Internet Cafes once we arrived in the Czech Republic.

Our time in Crete went well. We had 2 major destinations there - Chania and the Samaria Gorge. Chania is the second largest city on Crete and is located in the northwest of the island. It is a typical island town with beautiful views, waterfront tavernas, lots of alley shops, and nice views of the sea. They had recently restored their lighthouse which took several years and went way over budget. In the end it cost them over 1,000,000 dollars.

Chania, pronounced Hania, was a good base for our hike in the Samaria Gorge. It was a 2 hour drive to the entrance of the Gorge over a very windy road through the White Mountains. Since we did the easy, or as they call it "The Lazy Way", we did not do the 3 kilometers of stairs that descend 1500 meters to the bottom of the Gorge. Instead, we continued on the bus for another hour and then took a 45 minute boat ride to the town of Agia Roumeli. This is the town at the exit of the Gorge.

We then walked the 3 kilometers to the exit, or entrance for us, and hiked an additional 3 kilometers to the most famous spot in the Gorge. This is where the Gorge narrows to 3 meters. It is called the Iron Gate and is the photo spot that is always shown on the postcards, books, and brochures.

The hike is through rugged, dry terrain which passes deserted settlements and olive groves. There are several river crossings using stepping stones or bridges. The hike through the entire Gorge is 16 kilometers. The hardest part of the hike, at this time of the year, is the heat down in the bottom of the Gorge. We were glad that we did the shorter version and still got to see the best part of the hike.

Since leaving Crete we have spent several great days in Germany. That will be the topic of the next blog. From there we continued into the Czech Republic and tomorrow we leave for Austria. I will complete those adventures ASAP. It is sometimes hard to find service that is reasonably priced and speedy.

Till next time, RPM


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Locals hailing a cabLocals hailing a cab
Locals hailing a cab

The gentleman is dressed in a traditional outfit
The $1,000,000 LighthouseThe $1,000,000 Lighthouse
The $1,000,000 Lighthouse

They recently refurbished the lighthouse and it went way over budget!!
Fortezza TavernaFortezza Taverna
Fortezza Taverna

This taverna, across the harbor on a small island, use to be a Venetian fortress. To get there you have to take a small boat to the entrance.
Samaria Gorge EntranceSamaria Gorge Entrance
Samaria Gorge Entrance

There are 3K of stairs which descend 1500 ft. into the Gorge. Then it is a 13K hike to the end.
Boat trip to Agia RomelliBoat trip to Agia Romelli
Boat trip to Agia Romelli

The only form of transportation on this portion of the southern coast is by boat. This trip took us to the town that is at the end of the Gorge.
Doing the hike backwardsDoing the hike backwards
Doing the hike backwards

We started at the exit and walked into the Gorge for 6K, past the Iron Gates and to the first rest stop. Then we turned around and walked back out. This made it a 7 mile hike for us.
Approaching the Iron GatesApproaching the Iron Gates
Approaching the Iron Gates

Every time the Gorge narrows it is called a gate. This is the narrowest part at only 3 meters wide.
The Iron GatesThe Iron Gates
The Iron Gates

This is the shot you see on all the postcards and books about the Samaria Gorge.
Find the monastery in the cliff gameFind the monastery in the cliff game
Find the monastery in the cliff game

It's like "Find the Pope in the Pizza" only different!


9th August 2006

awesome hike!
That looks like it was a great day out! And well done for taking the "lazy way" - I would have done the same!The boat ride looks beautiful too, and your photos are spectacular, as always. Czech R., Austria... you are getting closer and closer to Moscow! Love, Bea

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb