Iraklion


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Heraklion
March 5th 2008
Published: March 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Iraklion is a great city! I have found the people here to be much more friendly than in Athens, as far as just people on the street. Since coming to Crete, our group has been accompanied by Olin Storvick, a retired faculty from the Classics department at Concordia. His life is truly interesting and he has so much information to share that it has been great having him along to explain certain sites. Since arriving, we have seen the Archaeological Museum, the Historical Museum of Crete, Knossos, Phaestos, Matala, Lasithi Plateau, the cave of Zeus's hiding after his birth, Malia, Church of St. Titus in Iraklion, the Aquarium which housed all types of fish from the Mediterranean, Nikos Kazantzakis's tomb, an ancient Dorian city site that we had to jump the fence to get into, and a few others which I am sure I am forgetting.

Today was a great afternoon, we had an acting workshop taught by David and then after that was over, I went and ran in the track and outdoor gym area that is right across the street from our hotel. It felt amazing. But it doesn't end there, two more people joined us and we went up to the top of the Venetian walls were Kazantzakis is buried and did pilates. (the area is covered with soft grass and a perfect location.

Tomorrow and Friday are free days which I am very excited for. I plan to shop a little, go to the beach, and go out to a cafe at night. It should be a relaxing break from these past hectic weeks of travel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb