Greek Island


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Heraklion » Anissaras
January 19th 2023
Published: January 19th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We spend four days at sea, listening to lectures, doing watercolours,taking part in quizzes and eating! I go down with a cold so spend most of two days in my cabin sleeping.



It’s Thursday it must be Heraklion, the major town and port on Crete. The history of Crete has been one of turbulence. It’s position between Africa, Asia and Europe resulted in invasion and occupation by various conquers. At the beginning of the 20th century Crete obtained independence and in 1913 was United with Greece.

The temperature is only 18c but the skies are a lovely blue with a few cotton wool white clouds, you get the picture I am sure.

Getting off the ship gives us the opportunity to walk of a few of the excess calories we have put away over the last few days. (Ian - well I for one refuse to regret the triple chocolate trifle I had the other day as a mid afternoon snack to ward off the pangs of hunger between the rather pleasant chicken satay skewers for lunch and the promise of finger sandwiches and cakes for afternoon tea. Oh, and the millionaire cheese cake was rather good to.)

The dock at Heraklion is immediately adjacent to the old Venetian harbour and the historic part of the town.we walk along the coastal road and spot a ’hop on hop off’ bus. We jump on it and are pleasantly surprised to see that it takes us to Knossos an ancient Minoan palace. Unfortunately for Ian it has been reconstructed in recent years as to how it was thought to look. He would prefer they left it alone!

We jump on the bus and go to the city centre. Lots of sales in shoe shops and clothing stores. Ian walks down to the Venetian fort. I sit in the sunshine while he wanders round it. We head back to the ship I stay in the reception area to use the free Wi-Fi and Ian goes for a run.

After this I’m going to sit in the sunshine by the pool.



Next stop Egypt and the Valley of the Kings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



19th January 2023
338ED9D6-BD0C-4529-A500-EC435E879543.

Photos
Did you post photos, if so, they didn’t come out! Any good entertainment?
20th January 2023
338ED9D6-BD0C-4529-A500-EC435E879543.

Photos
The photos won’t load but I’m putting some on fb. The entertainment has been very good, and last night was a juggling comic and he was brilliant one of the best acts we’ve ever seen. Neil Kelly is the entertainment director and he recognised us and gave me a big hug. We miss you and Catherine, Ian is using the pencil you gave him for the quizzes x
22nd January 2023

Keep the blogs coming
Hi B&I great to hear you are having a fabulous time & I’m learning new things from your blogs (Lisbon older than London!). Looking forward to the next instalment xx

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0834s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb