Stuck at The Junction


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Macedonia » Thessaloniki
August 16th 1990
Published: October 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Slept in the corridor again until we all had to get off the train for three hours to go through that border routine again, although it didn't cost of £5 to get out.

Back in Greece, the hatred from the locals became evident again and we had to continuously defend our seats from Greeks who thought they had more right to them. One bloke even started to throw all our luggage out of the compartment and things got very ugly when we did the same with his. The guard came to try and sort things out, but he instantly took the Greek’s side and we had to leave in a barrage of abuse.

There was a guy in the carriage that was the most intelligent person I had ever met. After all the excitement, he got talking to me for the whole journey. Although it was all very interesting, I must confess that I hadn't got the vaguest clue what he was talking about. Totally over my head!

The train was going to Athens. Since most of us wanted to head north through what was then Yugoslavia, the train emptied out at Thessaloniki. The train that we all wanted wasn't coming until the following morning, so everyone had to settle along the front of the station for the night. Since we were all in the same boat, everyone made the most of it and it was a good evening. Considering we were all outside the front of a station, it wasn’t a bad night sleep either; safety in numbers I guess.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb