Pefkochori - More Beach! - Day 19


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Macedonia » Pefkochori
June 23rd 2007
Published: November 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Amazingly, we woke up at 10:30am. Of course it could have been due to the people in the room above us making a ton of noise, it sounded like they were dragging the furniture around and their kids were crying and screaming so sleep was not happening. We had breakfast at the hotel and I had an ‘English’ Breakfast that consisted of bacon & eggs w/ bread, it was pretty good. On the breakfast specials list they also had a ‘Greek’ breakfast that consisted of cold coffee and 2 Marlboro cigarettes – I’m not sure if that was a just a joke or if you could actually get it, but pretty hilarious all the same!

We decided to walk straight down to the beach today from the hotel and turned to the left. The ocean was all big rocks that were really slippery, so we decided to walk down the beach the other way toward where we were yesterday. While Steve and I were taking some pictures of the beach area, Steve B. and Alice decided we should go to the part of the beach by the beach bars all the way at the end of the beach by the House of Smile. On the way I decided that I wanted to buy a float to use, which ended up being good decision, as Steve and/or I used the silly float the entire day! The water is nice and warm and is really salty so you have awesome buoyancy. Steve also bought some paddle ball things and some water shoes. We tried to play Frisbee, but the beach was super crowded at this end, the chairs and umbrellas filled the whole strip of sand between the walkway/bars and the water. Steve and I played paddle ball on the edge of the water and we actually didn’t suck at it too bad. Steve and I left the beach a little earlier than everyone else because he was getting a little bit sunburned. When we got back to the hotel we decided to take a dip in the hotel pool. The pool water was even warmer that the ocean, but it was still refreshing. The pool was huge and strangely the water was far down below the rim of the pool, at least 12 inches and maybe more.

After this Steve and I wanted to go use the internet café across the street from Stedios’ work. We ran into Steve B., Alice, Susie and Magda just across the street from the hotel and so we waited for Alice and Steve B. to go change and then we all went to use the internet together. When we were done, we went back to the hotel and made ham and cheese tost sandwiches in the hotel room, they were really tasty! Steve and I took a nap until about 11:30pm and were supposed to meet up with Stedios when he got out of work at 12am. But Stedios had to work late, so we went down to his restaurant and had some gyros and then went down the street to the Kahlua Bar to wait for him. Well at least Steve and I did. Alice and Steve B. decided to walk all the way back down to the end of the beach to the Akrotiri Bar by the House of Smile. I had heels on and didn’t want to walk all the way down there because I was sure the place would be desolate. And I was right, the Akrotiri Bar was empty, it’s pretty much a daytime place when there are tons of people on the beach, but at night there’s nothing down that end of the beach strip. Anyway the Kahlua Bar was packed and we were enjoying ourselves.

When Stergios joined us around 1 or 1:30am we ended up having to wait about 30 minutes for Alice and Steve B. to finish their drinks and mosey back to the Kahlua Bar to meet up with us. We had originally planned to drive up to Kalithea which is where most of the popular clubs are, but decided not to go since Stergios said the police were out in force and Stergios had to work so late. We ended up just going to the NONO club again. This night wasn’t as busy as the night before plus I had a splitting headache, but we did stay until around 5:30 or 6am though.

Oh, we saw some cats at the hotel today. One tiger kitty was really friendly and looked pretty well taken care of. But the white and brown patches kitty we saw was so skinny and looked emaciated. We bought some cat food at the grocery store today for both cats and put out some water. We couldn’t tell if the white kitty ate or not, it really didn’t look too interested. Steve thinks it was dying. Other people must have felt bad for it also because there was more food out there later. I was warned before we came to Greece that people here didn’t think of cats and dogs as pets, but as working animals. So I tried not to let the condition of some of the cats and dogs get to me, but the white kitty broke my heart. Steve B. talked about taking it home, but I think it was too late as we looked for it the day we left and couldn’t find it anywhere.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb