From Salonika to Pefkohori to see Gianni


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Macedonia » Chalkidiki
August 5th 2011
Published: January 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had hoped to get up at 6am and get on the road to Pefkohori but didn’t get up until after 8am. We threw our stuff into our bags and headed out to see that the idiot who double parked next to us the night before was still there, great! When I had parked initially I had snugged the Qashqui right in tight against the curb so no one would sideswipe it and there was cement curbs behind the spots too and off course I was pretty close to it. (The spots are in groups of two) So Steve had to guide me while I did a 12 point maneuver to get out of the tight spot and around the double parked jerk next to us.I really wanted to see if it was locked and just roll it down the street out of our way, but reason prevailed.

We finally got on the road and headed to Pefkohori. The GPS had trouble with the reception until we got out of the tall buildings in Vasou’s neighborhood. We talked to Gianni while we were driving and he had us meet him at the Blue Fish Beach Bar which was in the town just south of Pefkohori. This place was really nice with chairs and umbrellas that were free as long as you were eating and or drinking there.

I had a tost and a Gordon Space and Steve and Gianni spent the time we were there catching up. The water was warm and the sand was really nice too, although as is typical with most Greek beaches the chairs went right up to the water so there wasn’t a lot of extra space to enjoy the sand. We got there around 11am and Gianni left around 1:45 and we stayed until about 2:30. The day was nice and warm although it was a bit cloudy it was really pleasant and enjoyable at the beach. Gianni had to leave early to go home to get ready for work. He had already gotten permission to go into work a little late so he could spend some time with us.

We drove into Pefkohori and finally found parking on the main street not far from the place Gianni works, which is the same restaurant where Stergios worked. We walked around a bit and took some photos and did some souvenir shopping then headed back to the restaurant where Gianni works and ordered some gyros. Only problem was they put ketchup and mustard on the gyros instead of tzaziki – um not delicious! We ate and Gianni came over to our table to visit a bit and we took some photos with him and left around 4pm.

We wanted to be back to Mikrokastro around 6:30-7pm to meet Papous, Charlie, Rachel and Alexandra. And we made decent time considering it got a bit rainy. We got back around 7pm and just as we were driving up to the house Papous called and asked why we weren’t in Grevena! Argh, Steve and Papous had agreed to meet in Mikrokastro and Papous must have forgotten. So we had a little time while they drove from Grevena. I took a shower as I was still salty and yucky from the beach.

Papous, Charlie, Rachel and Alexandra arrived and as soon as they did it started to absolutely pour buckets! The rain kept up for a half hour or so then the sky was the weirdest yellow but the sunset was just beautiful pinks and oranges. Uncle Charlie drove me, Rachel and Alexandra around so we could take some photos of the village, but it was hilarious as he didn’t stop and most of the photos came out a blur!!

Steve wanted to go by and see his Uncle Vasili so Rachel and I threw a pasta and chicken dinner together with village salad and garlic bread. It was really yummy! Alexandra was a good sport and cut the chicken up even though she’s a vegetarian. Rachel and I washed up and we sent most of the leftovers home with Papous.

Naouma & Vasou stopped by to say goodbye and to pickup Vasou’s key to her apartment in Salonika. Then Xristos, Kaliope, Konstantina and Theodora came by. Steve & Kaliope repacked Magda’s luggage and Kaliope added stuff too. Then Xristos took the 2 pieces of luggage so he could send them on the bus from Kozani to Athens since we couldn’t fit them in the Nissan. Theo Taki would pick the luggage up off the bus in Athens on Saturday.

Steve went to Mythos to meet Gioulis and Xristos one more time before we left. It was already after 10pm at this point soooo as he ran out the door Steve asked me to finish packing up his stuff as well as mine. I finished up around 12:30 and was so exhausted I couldn’t stay awake. It was at this point I realized Steve forgot the house key so I left it outside on the window sill by the downstairs door. But Steve just came to the upstairs door around 1am and knocked on the window. It scared the crap out of me!


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb