Anyone For Marbles


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Greece
May 26th 2010
Published: May 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Parthenon2Parthenon2Parthenon2

The northern end of the Parthenon.

Wednesday 26 May



Thank you Caroline and Brian for your message. We can imagine that the ChCh weather would feel a bit chilly after the Pacific Islands.

We walked all over the Acropolis and adjacent historical sites for about 4 hours this morning, and are now pacing ourselves by having a rest before venturing out again later in the day. The temperature here this morning was somewhere in the high 20s, no more than London was for our last few days, and made more pleasant by a light cooling breeze. It is predicted to be 34 on Friday, but by then we will be in an air-conditioned bus (we hope) and heading towards the mountains.

The word Acropolis means 'castle', and all the photos of the Parthenon that you usually see in books travel brochures, etc, only tend to show the Parthenon sitting on the very top of the Acropolis. What is very evident when you see, and walk over, the Acropolis is that it is an impressive fortress, with very high thick walls, a series of defence gates at its main entranceway, and with its own spring-fed water supply. It reminded us somewhat of Edinburgh Castle. The
The PropylaiaThe PropylaiaThe Propylaia

Part of the new entrance to the Acropolis, built 437-432 BC.
other feature that stands out is the huge restoration job that has been underway since 1983. Large areas of the Acropolis are covered is heaps of pieces of marble like a huge jig-saw puzzle, which are being used, we assume, when possible. There is also big slabs of new marble that is being shaped and erected to replace missing pieces. Much of the existing marble columns etc have either been damaged in conflicts or have partly crumbled as a result of polution. These are being cleaned up and new pieces glued into the gaps, much like filling teeth. We arrived early but didn't beat the first busloads of tourists, with the result that the top of the Acropolis was crowded all morning. We avoided the crowds to some extent by going straight to the top and then working our way slowly down hill later. No one is allowed to touch the marble (acid on the hands causes wear), and vigilant ladies with loud whistles are soon after you if you do, or stand on the top of the walls (its a long way down!), or try to take photos of dolls or bears if these are placed on the marble.
Parthenon1Parthenon1Parthenon1

The northern end of the Parthenon. Note the piles of old and new marble in foreground.
It is all a bit heavy-handed, but necessary when many thousands of people walk all over the site every day. It was evident that this is one of those places in the World where people of all nations come together.

After viewing the ancient theatres and other sites around the base of the Acropolis, we walked the short distance to the site of the Temple of Zeus, and Hadrian's Gate, evidence of the Roman occupation of Greece at the height of the Roman Empire. There are still other sites to visit on our 12 Euro tickets, which we will wander over to later today. On our way back we sampled some local baking (huge currant buns) and fruit (fresh strawberries). We also bought some huge square of delicious apple pie for an early breakfast, which we enjoyed as part of our dinner last night.

We have checked out our booking for our bus tour starting tomorrow, and are fairly confident that we will be picked up as arranged! As it only a 10 minute walk, we are going to walk it to make sure that we get there in plenty of time. Our next blog will come from
Restoration1Restoration1Restoration1

Repairs to the Parthenon.
somewhere west or northwest of Athens.

P&K






Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The AcropolisThe Acropolis
The Acropolis

The northern walls as seen from a corner tower.
Porch Of The Caryatids.Porch Of The Caryatids.
Porch Of The Caryatids.

Statues of women have been used in place of columns.
Restoration2Restoration2
Restoration2

Cleaning and smoothing damage before filling.
Theatre Of Herodes AtticusTheatre Of Herodes Atticus
Theatre Of Herodes Atticus

Part of the theatre seen from the walls of the Acropolis.
Theatre of Herodes Atticus2Theatre of Herodes Atticus2
Theatre of Herodes Atticus2

Built AD 161. Restored 1955 and used today for outdoor concerts.
Theatre Of DionysosTheatre Of Dionysos
Theatre Of Dionysos

Built 333-330 BC. Note high walls of the Acropolis.


Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb