Theater of Epidaurus


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Greece » Delphi
June 20th 2011
Published: June 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We visited the Delphi Museum first this morning to learn more about Temple of Apollo and the other artifacts that have been found here. It was very informative and I’ll try to share some of that information with you with the pictures I post.

Then it was back onto the bus for another long ride. We finally arrived at the Osios Loukas Monastery. This was just one more beautiful site in Greece that was incredible. The architecture and the mosaics were amazing.

We then crossed the Corinth Canal and stopped for a rest break.

We finally made it to our last stop for the day. This is the one I’ve been looking forward to. The Theatre of Epidaurus is not only the best preserved theater in Greece, it is the best preserved edifice in all of Greece. Thanks to a landslide that covered it with earth, it was never bothered until it was discovered in 1891. The best thing about this site was that we could climb all over the seats, which would hold close to 15,000 spectators. I immediately climbed to the top and tried to get a picture from every angle.

Unfortunately, the visit didn’t
Clay Bovine FigurinesClay Bovine FigurinesClay Bovine Figurines

1400 - 1050 B.C.
last long enough. We had to return to the bus, but make sure you look for the picture of the oldest bridge in Greece. The sun was in the way, but this bridge is over 3,500 years old.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Bronze HelmetsBronze Helmets
Bronze Helmets

6th century B.C.
Male StatueMale Statue
Male Statue

possibly Apollo. 6th century B.C.
Apollo playing his lyreApollo playing his lyre
Apollo playing his lyre

Found in a tomb at Delphi - 480 - 470 B.C.
Music Anyone?Music Anyone?
Music Anyone?

Oldest written notation of a melody - 128 B.C.
AghiasAghias
Aghias

Wrestling and boxing champion. 5th century B.C.
The CharioteerThe Charioteer
The Charioteer

The first bronze statue found of the classical period. 480 B.C.
A Letter about Apostle PaulA Letter about Apostle Paul
A Letter about Apostle Paul

Emperor Claudius writing to the proconsul of Achaia (52 A.D.)
MonasteryMonastery
Monastery

Osios Loukas Monastery
Oldest Bridge??Oldest Bridge??
Oldest Bridge??

This bridge is over 3,500 years old. Sorry about the sunlight, but I hope you will be able to see it.


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb