Delphi Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Greece » Delphi
April 9th 2011
Published: April 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

View from hotelView from hotelView from hotel

Valley to lake in Delphi
We arrived in Delphi after driving over more beautiful mountains. It was a long drive from Kalambaka- about 4 hours - but the roads were all in good shape. Thankfully. The major road was mostly a two-lane road and for half of it snaked it's way over the mountain - twisty and turny hair-pin turns with plenty of cars, buses and trucks. Not wanting to make like a local and pass trucks and buses on blind curves, I happily puttered along behind slow vehicles until I could see plenty far ahead. One road-side stop had my first experience with the infamous squat toilet that is seen in many other places- for those of you reading this that are not familiar with this, it is essentially a hole in the floor... I think you can figure out the rest. Now I feel like a world traveler 😉.

Arriving in Delphi was just fine - being the shoulder season we found parking on the street easily enough. Most of the people here were in tour buses that parked down the road. The view from the hotel was spectacular!!! Because we arrived late afternoon, we just hung around town - it took us all of 20 minutes to walk the length of it. Lots of tourist shops and some regular markets, plenty of cafes and restaurants and hotels. A snack of olives, wine and a feta and tomato sandwich that was sort of like a pannini was a nice break, overlooking the lake and valley. Gorgeous.

Early as we could, hoping to beat the crowds of kids we heard being noisy the night before, we walked down the street to the site of ancient Delphi. It was a beautiful day but starting to heat up fast. One thing of note - anyone afraid of bees should not come here in Spring. The wildfowers were profuse and the sound of the bees was a constant loud hum in the background. They flitted all over the place. They did not bother anyone - they were definitely only interested in flowers and I found it quite pleasant myself.

As we walked, we passed through the Dedication areas - I think this is where certain peoples would put their pledges and gifts to the Gods and the oracle. Moving up were the remains of several treasury buildings with the one that has been reconstructed the
Treasury of the AtheniansTreasury of the AtheniansTreasury of the Athenians

The rock of the Sybil is also in this shot.
Treasury of the Athenians.

Further along is the Rock of the Sibyl which some believed was where the first priestess of the Oracle sat to give her oracles on behalf of the earth. Just behind and above the rock is a glimpse of the Temple of Apollo.
For a brief lesson: Delphi was considered the center of the World- Zeus released two eagles on either side of the world and where they met in Delphi was the Omphalos or the navel of the world. It was also here that Apollo slew the serpent Python who protected the navel of the earth - the oracle of Ge (earth). But the serpent was a child of Gaia so Apollo had to be punished - sentenced to 8 years of menial tasks. When Apollo was freed from his punishment there was great celebrations and every 4 years they would commemorate this event with games- these were the precursors to the Olympics. Also it is here where a spring flowed -under the temple the spring went in to a fissure in the earth and released vapors, and these vapors gave the oracle her visions.

Above Apollo's Temple was a theater where there
Temple of Apollo and valley viewTemple of Apollo and valley viewTemple of Apollo and valley view

What a stunning view.
were contests and performances or recitations of poetry and musical events. Following the path all the way to the top was the stadium where games and competitions would take place.

All in this site were found plentiful gifts and pledges to Apollo and also given for audiences with the Oracle. The museum had some nice pieces. (Apologies for the reflection off some of the glass!!). The statuary of course, the Omphalus found at the center of the world. Lots to see there.

After the ancient site of Delphi, there was not a whole lot to do in this town. It is nice to have a little time to relax but really, the site and restaurants and tourist shops are it. Definitely worth a stop but no need to spend a lot of time here if you do not want some down time. We had a conversation with some shop owners who said the same - a nice place to visit but not much to do. They were looking to move to Athens.
Sitting in the hotel room is a curious mix of noises. There is a chicken that just will not shut up. And occasionally a herd of
The Rock of the SibylThe Rock of the SibylThe Rock of the Sibyl

This rock is where the first priestess (Sibyl) told the oracle of Ge.
goats will pass down below and their bells are very musical.

On that note, time to stare at scenery and consider dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Stadium at the top of hillStadium at the top of hill
Stadium at the top of hill

It was difficult to get all of it in one picture...
plaqueplaque
plaque

I think this plaque was at the Tripods of the Deinomenids
Aqueduct?Aqueduct?
Aqueduct?

This carried water at one point.
The SphinxThe Sphinx
The Sphinx

This was HUGE
OmphalusOmphalus
Omphalus

This marked the center of the world.
Apollo?Apollo?
Apollo?

It was believed this may have been the likeness of Apollo and gold leaf would adorn this statue
BullBull
Bull

Metal pieces of a large bull. The reflection on the glass is unfortunate.
Museum pieceMuseum piece
Museum piece

Tripods were common
The three dancing girlsThe three dancing girls
The three dancing girls

This was a tall piece
An old manAn old man
An old man

Not sure if this was a priest or a philosopher
The twinsThe twins
The twins

These were made to honor these men - not sure if for athletic prowess or heroic acts.
Miniature of AthensMiniature of Athens
Miniature of Athens

Tough to see but helps to visualize it as a whole


Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb