Back to the West


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica
September 5th 2016
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.9795, 23.7162

Got our cute selves out of the bed at 3:29am this morning. Yeah that is too damn early. But we had a flight at 6:55, and HP lost the argument with Bird that we didn't really need to arrive at the airport two hours before the flight (in the end, just like the TV show "father knows best", HP knew best). We were sitting at the gate over an hour before the flight.

Pleasant one hour flight on Turkish Airlines where we were served breakfast. When was the last time any of us had a meal on a one hour flight in the U.S.? Located the subway, and after an hour, we arrived at our station "Acropolis". Yep, the real thing. Arriving toward the top of the subway, we noticed a number of statues that were completed between 460 and 430 BC. And these folks were just lying about. So proceeding to our room, we did what we usually do...got lost. A pleasant Athenian noticed our predicament and offered assistance. After he steered us in a better direction, we noticed there was no attempt to sell carpet. How nice. The apartment is also wonderful. The frig is almost the size of a small refrigerator in the US, amazing, and it actually freezes ice! Nick titles his apartment "Acropolis View"; well perhaps for Superman with x-ray vision, but not for the rest of us. Nonetheless, we are completely pleased with the space in the apartment, friendly folks, and relaxed nature of the country. We didn't know how uncomfortable we felt in Turkey until the ease we now experience.

After settling in we made for the National Archeological Museum. Rick Steves awards it three stars, and it is fully justified. This place he could accurately say rivals any on earth. It is certainly on par with the British and Vatican museums, which are the best we have ever seen. We'll try not to overwhelm you with pictures, but the exhibits were extensive and of very high quality.

Tomorrow the resident tour guide indicates we will visit the Acropolis. HP will also sneak of for some night pictures of the place.



Advertisement



6th September 2016

Just want you all to know that Sally is doing great and her big sister is taking super care of her. We got to enjoy her at Hilton Head for the weekend and I think you would say we bonded!! (after our initial meeting). Continue to have a w
onderful time and keep sharing your notes and pictures. Stay safe
7th September 2016

Great pictures and wonderful structures. I really liked Odeon of Herodes Atticus.
7th September 2016

HOPE U R HAVING A GREAT TIME. WOW HOW GREAT. BE AFE SKEETER

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb