It all sounds Greek to me


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
May 7th 2011
Published: May 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Athens
We arrived in Athens after a dodgy taxi ride – our suitcases were hanging out of the boot held by one hockey strap and every time we stopped at the lights – and there was a lot – Brian who was wedged between us girls nearly screwed his head off trying to watch them.
Arrived at our very nice hotel the Hera – very central – at 8am and after dumping our cases the Nobbies took off to do some sightseeing. As Brian and I have been to Athens before we took it a bit easy and waved them off. Chris will take over the blog from here…..
Nobby and I headed off to the Acropolis – a 10 minute walk away – we walked around with all the tourists, school kids and tour groups. We followed the suggested walking trails from the map and saw the many Ancient sites of Greece which included City of Agora which was my favourite. We saw Hadrian’s library as well as the Flea market – where I had trouble finding a toilet. Thanks to me buying a t shirt for Ben I was allowed to use the shop toilet. On the way back to the hotel we bought a bagel from an elderly man who had been to Melbourne 57 years ago – he could still rattle off the train stations from the city to Oakleigh. The bagel was great – we were starving! After that we needed a rest before heading out again…..We caught the hop on hop off bus and were amazed by the parking methods of cars and motor bikes. The bus was an excellent way to see round the city in a short time. Met Brian and Debbie back at the hotel for dinner. Our hotel had a rooftop restaurant which overlooked the Acropolis – a big day. Chris.
Brian and I wandered the streets looking for the Plaka area which had been recommended to us. My handy husband who understands maps took us all around it rather than into it. No complaints from me ‘cos I found a Marks and Spencer shop and a Mothercare shop – happiness all round with a new jacket for me and some stuff for Heidi. (Brian got a t-shirt from the Plaka – once we found it) We went back to the hotel and found our room more than comfortable. We were happy relaxing and waiting for the Nobbies. We did go out for lunch and ended up having it with another Aussie couple from Tasmania – roast lamb and potatoes – excellent!
Today we had the morning free until being taken to the airport at 2pm. The Nobbies checked out the Acropolis museum. The Willys did arty stuff and checked out some galleries and had our last Italian ice-cream. Sitting in the airport at Dubai now waiting for our flight to take us to KL. Our last adventure…..


Advertisement



7th May 2011

wonderful holiday
What a wonderful time you have had.Great to hear you have taken a little time out as well.Looking forward to hearing more on your return.love Pete & Pam

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb