wonderful day


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
April 1st 2006
Published: April 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

April 1st, 2006,
Day 86 of our cruise of 105
Athens, Greece

Our arrival was delayed this morning as we had to make way for the ferry traffic.

Out by 9:30, shuttle bus to the subway, 0.70 Euro and 20 minutes later, we were in the Plaka. The Plaka is the old part of town at the bottom of the Acropolis. The Acropolis is 230 feet high and quite a challenging climb. The sightseeing all the way up, at the summit and during the descent was spectacular. Our ex-friend Robin then brought me up the next hill to get a good view of the first one! That would be the Filopapou Hill and a great viewing spot for the Parthenon. I wish I could have seen it at night all lit up from that spot; we sail out at 11 tonight, I am hoping to see it from the port as we leave.

We then walked to a square in the Plaka and enjoyed a terrific meal. My choices were from the Mezedes menu: Garlic paste, fried cheese with spinach and feta pie, lovely. More Plaka, a drink stop on a steep inclined street ouzeri and more Plaka.

Back to the port of Piraeus by 6 and I had the opportunity to attend a ceremony at the Greek Orthodox chuch and pray for a very special intention; the priest used tons of incense, rang many bells and sang duo with an assistant, I am certain God must have known we were there and heard us loud and clear.

Looks like spaghetti room service for tonight, we have to get ready for Italy in a few days.
Balmy weather, Very pleasant
Hello my children, hello granny. -news pls from all of you
Goodnight.
Ttys, love to all




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



5th April 2006

My God ... don't quit on us now!!! I am enjoyng your trip very much. Say Hi to Terry for me. His stories are extremely entertaining ... it's almost like he never left.
23rd April 2006

Great travelblog
We know that you weren't able to finish your blog because of internet problems, but we hope you will post your final pages from home. you can't just leave us stranded in the middle of the sea.... Slinkie and Grumpy

Tot: 0.491s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0947s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb