Parthenon to the left of us, Zeus to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
May 17th 2010
Published: May 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Athens
First recomedation I have for anyone coming to Athens is catch the train from the airport...it's easy! Second recomendation I have is be very very careful of the Ouzo. It's a killer!

Hotels in Athens are interesting, either seem to be bottom or top of the range though we managed to secure the smallest 'back' room in a very very swish hotel in a fabulous location, drinks in the bar were equivalent to the price of the room! Having said that the bar was a fabulous introduction into Athens with lit up views of the Parthenon and the Temple of Zeus, location, location, location.

We spent the next day seeing the required sights and doing some serious people watching in Plaka! And dog watching for that matter, they are everywhere trying to find the best spot in the sun or shade for a good long sleep....


Athens was interesting for the sights, but for me, moreso, the people. Loved the crazy "illegal" road side merchants constantly keeping their eyes out the local cops - very amusing watching them pack up in a flash and relocating, only to proceed with this game of 'cat and mouse' in another location. The Parthenon and Zeus were 'nice' - the BOB of all BOB's but ruins don't generally do it for me, but an essential part of any visit to Athena.

We decided to venture into Plaka for dinner to a taverna I had spied whilst Julie was shopping - yes, there were purchases! can't go past all the beautiful silver jewelery
Anyway, long story short, we were entertained! So much so that at the advice of the staff, we were invited inside to peruse the merriment (and plenty of ouzo!) some Cypriots were enjoying (and us also) We drank, we danced (very amusing!) soon realising we had to be at 5.30 to catch our ferry to Santorini - Goodbye our new friends from Cyprus! FYI - we have made it and this blog comes from Santorini. Note: The ferry that brought us here was a beast, eating up 2-3m ground swells, whilst many passengers were giving up what they had eaten! I personally enjoyed the ride after a few hours of very peaceful napping in our very comfy seats...More from Santorini soon!

Yes, beautiful Santorini with plenty of sunshine...


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb