Friday Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
December 8th 2009
Published: December 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we again awoke and had breakfast. Once again, this breakfast was not fantastic, but was far from terrible. I just ate multiple bowls of coco puffs. We decided that we would start out the day by visiting the Museum of Cycladic Art. However, it took slightly longer than we had intended it to take. First, we had trouble finding it, and walked past several turns, then right past it, though this allowed us to wander through the national gardens. The gardens were densely forested, with pools for koi. Next to the gardens was the Parliament, so we were able to see it, and the guards dressed in traditional uniforms. Also, we got sidetracked by the War Museum, which we stopped in. It took us through the Greek resistance in World War 2, then the modern military apparatuses, and, for some reason, it then dipped back into the ancient side of things, so we saw Roman and Greek weapons and armor, as well as ancient ships and pre-WW1 arms.

After that, we headed over to the Museum of Cycladic Art. Wondering what the hell Cycladic Art is? I did too. Apparently, cycladic art is art from the Greek islands, produced before the Bronze Age. It actually looks a lot like modern art, all simple with few features, despite the fact that it is older than the hills. We also saw pottery and Roman glass and jewelry, and learned about what the islands were like back then.

After this, we decided to eat lunch. We wandered through the streets until we found a place that looked appealing, and sat down. I had spaghetti, Dad had penne arabiata. Both of our meals were very delicious.

After the lunch, we wandered around together, checking out shops and seeing what there was to see. Then, we split up, and I ended up wandering in and out of shops, and checking out some old ruins. We met up again, and by then, it was getting late, so we decided to go back to the hotel, and relax for a while, before heading out to eat. We went back to the Alexander the Great restaurant AGAIN, where they remembered what I had the night before (lentil soup), and upgraded me to an extra large bowl. Plus, they brought us a free desert, some kind of lemon cake (nice, huh?). Then, we went back to the hotel and went to sleep

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb