Athens and the Parthenon


Advertisement
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
September 1st 2009
Published: September 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone! I have spent a week here in Athens. Before I got here, and even after I got here I heard from many fellow travelers that Athens was a miserable place to be for any length of time. I have to say that once an opinion has taken root in my head it is hard to shake it off, even if wasn't my own opinion. It is so easy to see negativity everywhere. The cars are loud, the people are intru... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




3rd September 2009

but if...
but if Lord what's his name hadn't taken the artifacts, wouldn't they have also been destroyed by the Christians during the revolt before it became a church? so in a way he helped preserve them.
3rd September 2009

What Lord Elgin took was what was left over AFTER the Christians destroyed most of the sculptures. They destroyed the sculptures around the 600s and Lord Elgin didn't take the rest of them until the 1800s.
17th October 2010
Statue of Lord Byron

Byron is considered a national hero in Greece -he helped the Greeks in the War of Independence against the Ottoman Empire and died in Messolonghi. Statues of him can be found in Greece in places where he resided (he'd lived in Athens and even wrote a poem to express his anger for the removal of the Parthenon Marbles by Lord Elgin and their shipping to England). A suburb of Athens, Vyronas (Greek transliteration of Byron) is named after him. This particular statue depicts Greece in the form of a woman giving him inspiration to write. The name of the statue is "Byron's Hellas" = the Greece of Byron.
16th June 2012

Kudos!!
Hey, I found your blog by chance, and I've read through a few entries (mostly these Greece ones - it's on the top of my travel list these days). Thank you for sharing your adventures, and especially your beautiful pictures! I really admire you for saving up to go to so many incredible places and for not needing someone else to come with you. That's some awesome courage and discipline there.
17th June 2012

Greece
Thanks for the compliment. I have been doing this for so long that it seems easy, but I remember when it was terrifying. I hope you get a chance to see Greece if that is what interests you. Good luck!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb