Reunion and spending times in the ruins of Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
August 25th 2009
Published: August 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After the work conference, on April 24, I manage to meet Chiel roughly on time. Last time I made him wait for 2 hours, when I first flew in on Wednesday and I couldn’t even leave in time to have dinner with him. Anyways, we walked together to where my dad and Liz were staying, in the Airotel Alexandropolous Hotel.

We picked them up and headed to the old town of Athens, and namely the area of Plaka. The Plaka is located under the Acropolis. Its recommended by Matt , to have a walk through the oldest neighbourhood of Athens in the early evening.

It was late afternoon when we did just that. We sat down for some lunch. Dad had an octopus dish whilst I had a hot chocolate and helped myself to dads complimentary bread. We walked past kitchy tourist shops and past the workshops of some great artisans.
Following this, we headed on up to the archeological sites by Plaka, namely the ancient agora, through the museum of the ancient Agora and the Thession. Well me and Liz headed through - they only had two tickets. Dad and Chiel decided to give it a miss this time around and they instead walked the perimeter of the ruins.

We saw the Tower of the Winds, believed to be a place of great magic and the grave of Phillip of Macedon. It was actually a metrological station from the first century built by the Syrian Astronomer Andronikos Kyrrhestes. There was also a Mosque on the grounds of the ancient Agora site built in 1458 for the visit by Sultan Mehmet to Athens.

After doing a bit of site seeing I said good bye for the time to Chiel. He wouldn’t be back in the Netherlands until November 2009. Then we headed back to our hotel - my hotel was also now the Airotel Alexandropolous Hotel.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb