Apparently it Rains in Greece, too


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
December 27th 2008
Published: December 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hotel Room ViewHotel Room ViewHotel Room View

A view of the Temple of Zeus in Athens from the hotel.
Today, we awoke to rain and wind so we decided over breakfast to spend the day at the National Archeological Museum. First, we hit up the hotel breakfast, which is in the rooftop restaurant. The breakfast is delicious and you have a great view of the Acropolis. Can't wait to check that out!

We took the metro and walked to the museum, which is located in the northern part of the city closer to where we heard most of the rioting has been happening. We got to see proof of the rioting too... We saw a few ATMs that had been torched and at least one store that was torched. Other than that there was no sign of rioters or anything like that.

The museum was very interesting. They had lots of statues and pottery as well as historical accounts of major events in Greek History, including battles like Leonidas' battle against the Persian's which is the story of the recent movie 300.

We noticed (it was hard not too), that some of the ancient statues seem dwell on sex. Check out the photo of the little statue!

After seeing the museum, we walked around Athens for
Acropolis at BreakfastAcropolis at BreakfastAcropolis at Breakfast

A view of the Acropolis from the rooftop garden restaurant at the hotel. Not a bad view to enjoy over breakfast!
a little bit, before catching the Metro back to the hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Those aren't Orange TreesThose aren't Orange Trees
Those aren't Orange Trees

This is a View of a street in Athens. Alex and I learned that these trees bear a fruit that looks like oranges... but they don't taste like oranges!
Rioting in AthensRioting in Athens
Rioting in Athens

It's true, they were rioting in Athens.... At least we assume that is what this burned out shop is from.
The National MuseumThe National Museum
The National Museum

A photo of the group loitering outside the National Archaelogical Museum.
BlingBling
Bling

Talk about bling. This is a pure gold hair net on display at the museum.
Ancient Greek RemainsAncient Greek Remains
Ancient Greek Remains

This ancient greek suffered from a spinal condition that fused his spine together. Look carefully.


Tot: 0.373s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.097s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb