Athens : Changing of the dog, er, I meant guard


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
October 8th 2008
Published: November 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Greek Changing of the Guard 51 secs
This dog laying on the steps didn't move, much less get replaced by a fresh dog. The Royal Guards are replaced each hour, during a little ceremony. But she slept through the all the marching, and picture taking.

On our last day in Greece we hurried over to the House of Parliament, just in time to see the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The guards wear a type of kilt, woolen stockings with garters, and leather clogs with big pompoms on the toes. Their hats kind of remind me of daddy's "fez", with a very long silk tassel. Once they are situated in their spot next to a little guard house, another soldier, in contemporary uniform, straightens up the tassle, adjusted the belt, smoothed out the gathers of the kilt, and returns to the peruse the spectators. He paced up and down staring at us. If a tourist got too close to the Presidential Guard while posing for a photo, the statue-like guard would stamp the butt of his rifle on the ground, to alert the officer, who would then shoo the tourist away!

The uniform is designed to recall the mountain rebels that fought the Ottomans, during the Greek War of Independence. The rebels were like Robin Hood, thieves to some, and now referred to as the "yeast of liberty". The folds in the kilt represent the 400 years of turkish rule.


These fancy stepping guards are "evsones", from the elite infantry unit of the Greek army. They march in a slow-motion-long-reaching step. This is emphasised by their long legs. There are several requirements for this ceremonial position, one is that they be tall, approximately 6 feet 2. Soldiers must also be of good moral character and physical condition.

I think the dog "guard" looked pretty tuckered out, she may need replacement soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

EvzonesEvzones
Evzones

he stands completely still for one hour The dog lays still, too


Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 31; qc: 148; dbt: 0.1555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb