Athens Pre-Cruise


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
April 13th 2008
Published: April 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

After booking the last segment of the 2008 World Cruise from Athens to Ft. Lauderdale on our favorite ship, the Voyager, we started looking for a flight to Athens. We couldn't believe our luck when we found a flight on Ireland's national airline Aer Lingus for $369 with a 4 hour layover in Dublin. Although we were in economy, we had our own personal TV screen with plenty of movies to choose from, excellent Irish service and an early arrival into Athens. Our boutique hotel-the "Ava" was perfectly located in the old town or Plaka district. We had six nights there before boarding the Voyager; plenty of time to get rid of our jet lag and to fully take advantage of the area. We got up early one morning to be the first to climb the Acropolis or "Sacred Hill" to see the famous Parthenon before the crowds arrived. It was great being there all by ourselves and from the top we could see all the areas we had been to the day before on our walking tour. Another day we took a hydrofoil to the quaint Greek island of Hydra only an hour away. Springtime flowers were abundant and it was very relaxing to walk around this waterfront town without cars, only donkeys for transport and numerous cats who seemed to rule the island. Our travel agent Cruise Professionals had booked us reservations at the top Athens restaurants and we quickly learned that the Greeks don't eat until 9pm, so we adjusted our routine and said to ourselves "While in Greece"... The restaurants, mostly all Michelin rated were well worth the visit. Chuck ate rooster at a Greek villa and meatball carpaccio at a contemporary avant-garde warehouse restaurant named "48". We enjoyed incredible night views of the Acropolis from the Rooftop Garden of the Grande Bretagne Hotel and lunchtime views of the beautiful Aegean Sea from a Greek Taverna on Hydra and a cliff top restaurant at a nearby beach resort. It was also fun dining with new friends that we had agreed to rendezvous with in Athens along with chance meetings of old friends who were also in Athens to catch the Voyager. One night we finished dinner at midnight and we couldn't believe how many people were out and about. All in all the Mediterranean food was terrific and the Greek red wine was as good as any we've had. And let's not forget about the licorice flavored ouzo which is the national drink of Greece. We had an ouzo tasting in a little shop in the Plaka with colorfully lit bottles. The owner showed us how the Greeks prefer it; with one ice cube that changes it from clear to white and makes it more refreshing. We decided we liked it that way too. We do have to admit to sticker shock with the value of the dollar against the Euro. I think our lasting impression of Athens will be a vibrant city with lots to offer and many kind and helpful people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb