Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
November 7th 2007
Published: December 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a brief stop on the island of Corfu, we had a quick 3 day stop in Athens...just enough time to see the major sites and eat lots of scrumptious Greek food.

Day 1: We spent our first day wandering around, and stumbled upon the world's bloodiest market, the Agora-Athens Central market. The market itself was a series of covered tunnels with flourescent lighting and the unmistakable stench of fresh blood. The market was jammed packed with locals buying their weeks worth of meat. The butchers were especially scary as they yelled at the top of their lungs about the superiority of their product while swinging a cleaver in your face. Each wore his stark white uniforms with Pollack-style blood splatters...unfortunately, we didn't get any pics that day, but the images will be in our minds forever.

Day 2: As luck would have it, we picked our only sunny day to visit the Acropolis and got some great shots of all the major temples...Athena, Nike, Parthenon, Erecthion. I get them all mixed up (sorry Dad), but check out the pics!
We also perused the Monastiraki Flea Market, where everything is for sale.

Day 3: On our last day, we visited the The National Archaeological Museum. Lots of old stuff and cool statues. See our favorites below.

Okay, sorry for the brief blog...but our time in Athens was pretty uneventful other than the sites.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

ParthenonParthenon
Parthenon

Dave amongst the tourists
columnscolumns
columns

pop quiz: doric, ionic, or corinthian?
Classic Greek styleClassic Greek style
Classic Greek style

olive trees and ancient Greek architecture
leftoversleftovers
leftovers

Hmm...what should we do with all the leftover columns and rubble?? Let's just stack it up!
ZeusZeus
Zeus

watch out for flying thunderbolts


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb