Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
October 16th 2007
Published: December 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Athens, Greece

We had to get away from Italy. How many pizzas can two people eat? (Answer: very, very many)

 The Acropolis The Acropolis The Acropolis

KT and I heard that this view is amazing at night! The Acropolis is lit up, majestically, for all the visitors to admire and residents to appreciate with pride.
Greece - The land of Mythology, Mythos Beer, and the best Gyro you will ever taste (and at 1.20 Euro a pop, you will want to eat one any chance you get)! Greece has also been a bit of errand time since we leave for Egypt tomorrow, but nonetheless, we have seen some amazing sites. The Acropolis is difficult to put into words. The entire area which includes The Parthenon is awe inspiring. I really wanted to experience Greece because I teach "The Odyssey" every year and it has been a great experience. Not that I'm ready to go back to teaching at the moment, but I am excited to share my memories and photos with the students.

Two days in Greece! Not enough, my friends, not enough. The time spent was wonderful but we need to get to the islands next time. One of our favorite discoveries was when KT and I were walking down from the Acropolis and we stumbled (not drunk, just tired) upon a traditional Greek eatery where they bring the entire menu out to you on a huge platter and we point to the items we want. Well, we just told that gentleman to put
The ParthenonThe ParthenonThe Parthenon

These obnoxious hooligans took this photo. I starting "flexing" and they immediately showed respect. Humbly, they asked if we would like our photo taken in front of the Parthenon. Lucky for them!
to entire tray down with a bottle of wine, thank you so much!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

AthensAthens
Athens

The sprawl of the city is quite amazing! The Acropolis is certainly at the center of it all.
Who's walking who?Who's walking who?
Who's walking who?

KT wrestles with large, mythical, Greek creature.
ParthenonParthenon
Parthenon

The ancient Greeks gift to Athena. Construction began circa 447 BC...
Dolmades! (aka stuffed grape leaves)Dolmades! (aka stuffed grape leaves)
Dolmades! (aka stuffed grape leaves)

Coleen, KT told me these were nearly as good as the ones the two of you used to make. Nearly.
ErechtheonErechtheon
Erechtheon

This temple is on the opposite side of the Acropolis from the Parthenon. Many of the artifacts that were once inside these temples are now on display inside the British Museum.
Greek to meGreek to me
Greek to me

We spent much of our time in Greece, looking up at the signs in the metro system. "Karl, are you SURE we get off here?" Uhhhh, no.
Euro-guyEuro-guy
Euro-guy

For some reason, shorts in Europe must be worn below the knee. I miss my OPs that barely covered my hiney.
Theater of Herodes AtticusTheater of Herodes Atticus
Theater of Herodes Atticus

Built into the south slope of the Acropolis nearly 2000 years ago. It seats about 5,000 spectators and is still used today.
Temple to Olympian ZeusTemple to Olympian Zeus
Temple to Olympian Zeus

This was the largest temple in all of Greece when construction was complete in 2AD. 104 columns nearly 60 feet high!
Zeus Street levelZeus Street level
Zeus Street level

Only 17 columns remain standing today. As recently as the mid 1800s, a column crashed to earth in a severe storm.
Zeus!!Zeus!!
Zeus!!

A fairly impressive man, this Zeus. Months from now, Karl would fashion a beard in his honor.
National Archaeological Museum of AthensNational Archaeological Museum of Athens
National Archaeological Museum of Athens

Fantastic museum, with this frightening figure welcoming all who enter. KT and I took two hours in two rooms before we figured out there was three more entire wings to the museum!


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb