Day 10 - Finally, Athens!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
July 4th 2007
Published: November 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left the villa at 10 am and drove to Athens…more white-knuckled driving for Daniel. We dropped off our rental car at about 1:30 pm, took a shuttle to the airport and got a taxi from there to our apartment. We were charged 35 Euros, which was probably about 10 Euros more than we should have been charged. Daniel didn’t mind because he didn’t have to drive anymore.

The apartment is located in the Thissio district of Athens. It is a perfectly situated apartment, close to the ruins, Plaka shopping and old district, the Metro, and Europe’s longest pedestrian way. You can find it at www.athenspenthouses.com/Thisio.html . For the cost of what you would normally pay for one room in a nice hotel, you can have an apartment with two bedrooms, 1 ½ baths, an outdoor courtyard, and practically the best location in the city. Best of all, we finally have high-speed internet at our disposal 24 hours a day! Rachel decides nap time is OK since it gives her hours of uninterrupted time on the internet.

Xenia, the apartment owner, met us at the door. She was an incredible host full of great information. We got along so well that we exchanged e-mail addresses and hope to stay in touch. I believe her husband is a transportation planner so he travels a fair amount. Who knows, maybe someday we can host her. I should have taken her picture. She is a beautiful woman about my age or possibly younger.

Daniel went to the store around the block and brought back late lunch fixings. After resting, we took off to walk the pedestrian lanes and eat dinner. This city is alive! There are unabashed people watching wherever you go. There are row after rows of cafes and bars where people sit side by side facing the street just to watch the world walk by. Daniel appreciated that cleavage seemed to be the summer fashion trend. Rachel describes women as dressing to go clubbing 24 hours a day. Men seem to spend as much time on their dress and hair as the women. They take the term “Metro” to its limits.

We finally found the restaurant that Xenia recommended and sit down to people watch ourselves. Gypsy-type children come by to sell us things. The waiters tell us to keep a close eye on all our belongings when they are near. We’ve read that it is common for children to create a distraction while others sneak in to steal. The food is fantastic. By the time we completed dinner, the sun had set and the Acropolis shined with lights on the hill overlooking our restaurant. It was a beautiful site. Rachel told us over and over again that she looooves Athens.

After dinner, we went back home. Rachel hoped it was just to change into our clubbing clothes so that we could experience Athens until the sun rose again. Instead, we went to bed at around 10:30 pm, right when everyone else was having dinner. Rachel couldn’t believe it. She was struck mute. That didn’t bother us since we like quiet when we sleep.


Advertisement



20th November 2007

That was such a waste of nightlife ;p

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb