Athens/Pireaus


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
May 12th 2007
Published: May 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today ROCKED! We got chaffeured around Athens in a Strech Mercedes Benz Limo that was waiting for us when we got off the ship, although we didn't order one. In fact, we had no plan other than not to spend another day on a tour bus. It was expensive, but split between 5 of us, it ending up being close to the cost of the ship organized bus tours. It was quite the day.

Our driver was "Tommy" (we couldn't seem to remember his greek name which I think was Fonasis or Thonasis or something like that). Anyone who goes to Athens should hire him. He was fantastic! He took us to all of the historical sites in Athens (Greek Orthodox churches, Acropolis, the apartment where Kristina Onasis lived, temples dedicated to all of the greek gods, etc.), including the Palace so we could catch the changing of the guard. They no longer have a King (they have a President now and everyone gets to vote), but they still keep the tradition of the changing of the Royal Guard. It was quite a spectacle. We have some interesting pictures of that. The guards have this crazy thing they do with their feet (they wear pom-poms on their shoes) and do this crazy step Nick calls a "goose step". It looked to me more like a Clydesdale's step because it is so hard, but it also reminded me of those horses in the Fiesta parade that do the super high steps (can't think of their name right now).

The Acropolis now has a special elevator for wheelchairs. It meant we all got out of the HEINOUS hike up to the Acropolis. I really did feel like we were royalty today. It also meant getting on a fancy stair lift that was pretty amazing. After that, it involved a ride in an elevator attached to the side of the mountain that Marion called an "E" ticket at Disneyland. Nick hates heights so the elevator ride up the side of the mountain that he called "quite sketchy" and an engineering nightmare. He has pictures of that too so he could show that he is not the big baby I purport him to be.

Tommy dropped us by his sister in law's shop for some mineral water mixed with orange juice. He also took us to a wonderful local fish restaurant right on the water for lunch. Nick even ate calamari and liked it. Amazing! The Sea Bass was out of this world.

Tomorrow we start at 7:30 AM so we are going to sign off for now. We will be in Kusadaki, Turkey. We will be going to Ephesus in another one of those doggone tour buses.


Julie (and Nick as he is watching over my shoulder)

Advertisement



13th May 2007

Glad today rocked!!
Sounds like you're having a great time!!! I hope you're taking pictures so I can see some of the attractions. I want to see the formal pictures when you were all dressed up! We miss you!

Tot: 0.298s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0789s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb