Ending It With The Gods


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
November 7th 2006
Published: November 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Athens, Greece


Just our luck. The weather immediately turned to the better as we stepped back on the mini cruise ship/ferry as we returned to Athens for our final days. I owe it to the Greek gods. The sun came out, but it was still a bit chilly. Good thing it didn't rain though as the umbrella was left behind. The city is not what I would have expected. It's not exactly a nice city to look at, but the archaeological sites led us not only on a journey through the landscape but through time as we witnessed the legacy of Europe's greatest ages.

The main attraction of Athens and most famous monument of the ancient world literally towers above all else. The Acropolis was the first and only site on our "to do" list. It is by far the defining feature of Athens. It is located high above the city on a hill containing a series of temples, the most important being the Parthenon. It stands supreme over the Acropolis and is the monument that more than any other epitomizes the glory of ancient Greece. Completed in 438 BC, this building is unsurpassed in grace and harmony. The walk through the Temple of Athena Nike over a slippery marble ground led us to an open space that was dominated by its perfect form.

Just beside the Parthenon is the Erechtheion and its much photographed Caryatids (as seen in our photograph). But don't be fooled, these are only plaster casts. The originals were seen in the museum.

On the lower ground and on the sides of the hill were two theaters that used to hold up to 17,000 people. Only about 20 tiers of seating survive today.

We finished off our Greek adventure with a Greek-style dinner. The portions were huge. And yes, we had another mishap. However, I was able to take this one better than the maggot dinner. Just a hair. Easily pushed aside, we dined on a huge Greek salad, chicken gyros, and chicken and fries. Fries seem to come with everything you order. And, of course, a big glob of mayo just like Europeans like it.

Next Up: The United States of America ; Nov. 9, 2006

http://www.travelblog.org/gmaps/map_2hQ.html


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

CaryatidsCaryatids
Caryatids

Temple Erechtheion
The AcropolisThe Acropolis
The Acropolis

From a distance


7th November 2006

Great Trip
Well, I hope ya'll enjoyed it. For me, it was a great trip, kids, and now I feel less pressed to return to Europe. I've enjoyed every minute of it. Let me know when you're back in the bosoms of your families and then....what's next? Thanks for sharing. Mike
7th November 2006

Get a Job
Now its time to get a job!!!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb