Full time. Acropolis and Parthenon win.


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens » Pláka
August 28th 2023
Published: August 28th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Looks good, is good. No it is not the punch line from some rude joke, well really it is but I’m not using it in that manner. The Acropolis and Parthenon look good and are good from any and all perspectives. We, and a few hundred of our friends, ventured up to the Acropolis and Parthenon and happily took photos of this unique historical and cultural monument. We went at a time with supposedly few others yet it was still a busy place. Using the Western Gate helps as the throng of people use the main, more easily accessed gate. It is a great place to visit, you don’t spend ages there but it is interesting at every turn. There’s a beauty is the symmetry and geometry of the buildings. I read about the golden ratios embedded in the dimensions of the buildings, the same ratios are used in the number of external/internal columns, their width to height ratio etc but the simple fact is the buildings look good. Up close you can see the columns are not straight, they in fact lean in slightly but from a distance they are lovely. There are features that are not obvious. One of the photos show what look like an inverted Lego block (the dimples pointing down) which is a deliberate construct to channel rain away from the columns. The drainage system over the Acropolis is constantly under renovation and reconstruction but ‘once upon a time’ it worked (basically it still does).

I’ve been fortunate enough to visit the Acropolis and Parthenon twice in the last 2 years and it does not disappoint. It is a wonderful monument. One of the facts that still astounds me that despite having the roof literally blown off the Parthenon (an arsenal of explosives received a direct hit) officials regard the damage done by Lord Elgin the greatest. He bribed guards, snuck in a team of ‘excavators’ in the night and made off with what his team could carry.

Anyway time for something to eat. Just for a change.

Caio for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0709s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb