Greece Trip - End of the Boat Ride


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Aegina
March 21st 2008
Published: March 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our next and finally stop is the island of Aegina. This is the largest of the Saronic Gulf islands and known for it tasty pistachios (yes, I ate some). This is the most populated island that we have visited today. We disembark from the boat. The day is coming to an end, the colors of the fading sunlight are really special on this charming town as they reflect on the water. At the end of the pier is a delightful chapel, in honor of St. Nicholas, patron saint of sailors. We walk along the harbor and see many stray dogs enjoying the sun. There is a lot more life on Aegina, we see more fishermen, produce stands and half empty tavernas. We walk through the maze of small homes and businesses to a lovely Orthodox church. I read that about 97% of Greece's population is Greek Orthodox. This is a splendid church adored with simply beautiful icons on every inch of the interior walls. We continue on to a outdoor cafe hanging over the coast. We see the Temple of Apollo in the distance, or what is left of it. We ask the waiter what is the special, he says, “shrimp is best, this time of year”, so we order them up! He was right. I must add that we were treated so kindly by all the folks we encountered in Greece. We always felt at home in this very warm and friendly country. On the ride home we enjoyed the most lovely of sunsets. After all, this is the country of some of the worlds best sunsets. It was very romantic.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Aegina PortAegina Port
Aegina Port

Entering Aegina.
Chapel for St. NicholasChapel for St. Nicholas
Chapel for St. Nicholas

St. Nicholas was the patron saint of sailors, so offen you will see a chapel in his honor at the end of a port.
Aegina Fishing BoatAegina Fishing Boat
Aegina Fishing Boat

Entering Aegina.


22nd March 2008

Aww!
Nice sunset portrait you two! :)

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1013s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb