Baltic Sea coast


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
August 6th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Kiel Canal graphicKiel Canal graphicKiel Canal graphic

The canal is 98km long and it saves 460km off the trip around the peninsula. The earliest canal, based on the Eider River, was built in 1784!
Geo: 54.4075, 10.2219

Yesterday we did small things in the local area and got the temporarily recalcitrant home internet rebooted.

It's remarkable how green and pretty the countryside is. The surprisingly small roads between here and Hamburg often wind through greenery with trees meeting overhead. There's barely a four-lane road to be seen and yet the traffic flows easily. Perhaps people use the train a lot?

This morning we drove north for an hour or so to Kiel and the Baltic Coast. Had a look at the Kiel Canal that connects the North and Baltic Seas by cutting through the base of the Jutland Peninsula. The canal can take ships up to 74,000t and the limiting factor is usually the maximum 42m bridge clearance height. Then a visit to the town of Laboe, a seaside resort that houses the German Naval Memorial.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Laboe seaside resortLaboe seaside resort
Laboe seaside resort

Taken from the top of the memorial tower. Kiel in the distance. What a day, around 30 degrees!
U Boat - U995U Boat - U995
U Boat - U995

Commissioned in Sep 43 and into action (after crew training) in Jun 44. U995 conducted nine patrols and sank a total of five vessels. It was moored in Trondheim at war's end and was surrendered to the British.
Engine RoomEngine Room
Engine Room

Wonderfully presented with paint and lighting.
GalleyGalley
Galley

To cook for 50 or so.
Control RoomControl Room
Control Room

Acting Oberleutnant at the scope.
Bow torpedo roomBow torpedo room
Bow torpedo room

The four bow torpedo tubes (plus one in the stern). Carries a maximum of 12 torpedoes. And crew sleeping space!
U995 data sheetU995 data sheet
U995 data sheet

Included for those who like details...(that would be me, for one).
Memorial tower and propellerMemorial tower and propeller
Memorial tower and propeller

The propeller is from the German heavy cruiser, Prinz Eugen. This ship was with the Bismarck in the May 41 action that resulted in the sinking of the British battlecruiser Hood.


8th August 2015

You could do it Robyn!!

Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb