Berlin, Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
May 6th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Train Station in BerlinTrain Station in BerlinTrain Station in Berlin

We arrive in Berlin.
Geo: 54.1751, 12.0923

Once an infamous border city between the former East and West Germanys, Berlin today is one of Europe's Most cosmopolitan and cultural capitals. When the Berlin Wall fell in 1989, an architectural and cultural transformation took hold. This is symbolized in the Reichstag, Germany's Parliament Building. It's glass cupola symbolizes a new era of transparency and openness. (Where have we heard that before?) Monuments of wartime are everywhere here from remnants of the Wall to Checkpoint Charlie. Prewar treasures include Baroque Charlottenburg Palace and the 13th-century St. Nicholas Church. Located on the Spree River with more than 170 museums, today's Berlin is a major cultural center.

We traveled by train from our port town of Waranawabe, a pleasant seaside resort on the Warnow river to Berlin, about 2 1/2 hours. Once in Berlin, we transferred to a short panoramic bus tour of the major sites. Then we were on our own for several hours to explore. We tried to get in to the Pergamon Museum; but, the line was long and our time was short. Instead, we walked through the historic square admiring the beautiful historic elegant buildings and visited the Berlin Cathedral. In hindsight the historic tour would have
Train to BerlinTrain to BerlinTrain to Berlin

We traveled to Berlin from our port city in this train.
been a better choice rather than trying to do it on our own in such a big city. We enjoyed a Curry brot in a sidewalk cafe. We have really had great weather with only one cloudy day in Copenhagen. I have posted some pictures of some of the sites we visited. Wish we could have spent more time here. So much to see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Brandenburg GateBrandenburg Gate
Brandenburg Gate

The historic Brandenburg Gate (1791) was the grandest-and is the last survivor-of 14 gates in Berlin's old city wall. The gate was the symbol of Prussian Berlin-and later the symbol of a divided Berlin. It's crowned by a majestic four-horse chariot, with the Goddess of Peace at the reins. Napoleon took this statue to the Louvre in Paris in 1806. After the Prussians defeated Napoleon and got it back (1813), she was renamed the Goddess of Victory.
Warning!Warning!
Warning!

This was one of two signs on the sidewalk between several street venders. No explanation needed. Although we have found Europe to be quite safe, you do have to be aware of pick pockets. On this trip, some friends lost their wallet in St Petersburg, Russia, What a hassle. I love what Rick Steves says...If you are using your money belt as he suggests, A European hand in your pocket is just another cultural experience.
The Cathedral of BerlinThe Cathedral of Berlin
The Cathedral of Berlin

The Cathedral of Berlin is the largest church in the city, and it serves as a vital center for the Protestant church of Germany. Reaching out well beyond the borders of the parish and of Berlin, the cathedral and the Hohenzollerngruft attract thousands of visitors, year after year, from Germany and abroad.
The Cathedral of BerlinThe Cathedral of Berlin
The Cathedral of Berlin

Beautiful interior. There are no words.
Church organChurch organ
Church organ

Beautiful pipe organ.
Church alter and organChurch alter and organ
Church alter and organ

View from the balcony of the Church. You can also see the baptismal font between the organ and alter,
Church ceilingChurch ceiling
Church ceiling

This beautiful dome above is indescribable.
FerneshturmFerneshturm
Ferneshturm

Built (with Swedish know-how) in 1969 for the 20th anniversary of the communist government, the tower wa meant to show the power of the atheistic state at a time when DDR leaders were having the crosses removed from church domes and spires. But when the sun hit the tower--the greatest spire in East Berlin--a Hugh cross was reflected on the mirrored ball. Cynics called it "God's Revenge." I love this! The tower has a fine view from halfway up. The last time we were here, we had lunch in the revolving tower. You have to get your tickets far in advance; so, this time we just took a picture.
Viking guideViking guide
Viking guide

Loved her hair! She wasn't our guide; but, Bob had to take her picture. Cute!


Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb